1860 Angler

• eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Anybody run one of these. I’ve been tossing around the thought of a 1860 Angler or a Skeeter 1850 or 1900. If I got the Ranger I’d go with a 175 Verado I think. How do they handle waves? What kind a performance #’s should I be looking for out of a package like this. Is the Angler like the 619 etc as far as waves coming over the bow in rougher waters. All and any info on this boat would be great.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

And as far as hull design how similar is the 1860 compared to a 619 or 620.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Anybody run one of these. I’ve been tossing around the thought of a 1860 Angler or a Skeeter 1850 or 1900. If I got the Ranger I’d go with a 175 Verado I think. How do they handle waves? What kind a performance #’s should I be looking for out of a package like this. Is the Angler like the 619 etc as far as waves coming over the bow in rougher waters. All and any info on this boat would be great.

I believe Dean @ Everts Resort ran a 1860 a couple years ago and now owns a Skeeter 1900. He’d be a good source for comparison info as he’s owned both rigs.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I would also get a hold of Jason Halfen. He ran both a 1880 and 1860 last year. I am pretty sure he has a Suzuki 175 on his Ranger.

FDR

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Is the Angler like the 619 etc as far as waves coming over the bow in rougher waters.

Waves coming over the bow is not the boat’s fault. It’s poor driving!

-J.

mojogunter

While moving yes, not the driver if trolling, drifting, or anchored. I have never been in a 1860, but I do have a 621 that waves do come over the front in bigger waves sometimes. Annoying sometimes, but other than that the boat has no flaws, and I wouldn’t give up the ride for anything.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Quote:

Quote:

Is the Angler like the 619 etc as far as waves coming over the bow in rougher waters.

Waves coming over the bow is not the boat’s fault. It’s poor driving!

-J.

100% true drivers fault been there done that

jhalfen

Quote:

I would also get a hold of Jason Halfen. He ran both a 1880 and 1860 last year. I am pretty sure he has a Suzuki 175 on his Ranger.

Here she is. 1860 walk through with Suzy 175, T8, Terrova 101.

I’d be happy to visit with you about the various boats sometime at Everts. As Dean mentions below, there are pros and cons to each boat.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Pros & cons to every boat no doubt.The 1860 was a great boat but a couple things I personally was disapointed with.I would encourage you to test drive the boats your interested in under full load and compare for yourself perforfmaance factors.I would encourage you to evaluate the service factor as well,regardless of brand!

ted-merdan

I always do enjoy the waves over the bow comments/discussion. My disclaimer is that I was with Ranger for quite a few years in a sponsor agreement but now own a personal boat just for recreational fishing.

Waves over the bow – are you actually trolling into the waves?? Is this what your situation requires? If you are how are you keeping your baits in the zone you are targeting as it’s 3X more work to troll into any sizeable waves than to reset for another trolling pass.

Depending on your year and model the bow/nose design can be more prone to allowing some water from reasonable sized waves – however if you move to a higher bow/sided boat you give up a significant amount of tracking and ease of control as the higher sides/bow catch more wind and you will be fighting your boat for more control and as a result will be less focused on your presentations and the fish you are targeting. I would not give up how any of my Rangers have tracked or trolled in waves for not a drop of water on my floor.

Ultimately it’s your decision on which boat you purchase based on many factors – my recommendation is to not take second hand information/word of mouth and go out and run the said Ranger form you own opinion based off experience.

There’s a reason there are so many boat companies out there – everyone has their preferance.

-ted

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.