Creating Storage Space?

• average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Hey Guys

My 618vs is a little short on storage space, so I’ve opted to sacrifice the live well since I only really use it in the spring. What would be the best way to go about plugging it so it stays dry, but is easily reversible if I decide to use it. Thanks

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Not sure on your boat fitting sizes but on my Lund I made my front livewell into dry storage. Removed the screen on the back inlet and used a garden hose cap to seal it off. The over flow from the livewell to the outside got a 1.5″ expandable plumbing test plug. Basically a big rubber disc between two metal pieces that expands as you tighten the wing nut. Both found at Fleet Farm for a couple bucks. Been plugged a few years now with no water and the AIS police had no issues with it so far.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Did the same thing on my Pro-V, and learned a few valuable lessons.

They sell different sized plugs for almost everything, I’d highly suggest that route. Crafting your own customized version based on hardware store rubber stoppers, and other retrofits is just an exercise in frustration. It’ll get wet, eventually.

On mine, I had to plug the overflow vents, bottom fill, drain, and aeration units……all of which had different sized plugs! I had my boat at LaCannes marine anyway, so just kept going back and forth between the sales floor and my boat to find what I needed. I’d recommend dragging your boat to a local marine dealer to do the same. Some of those openings are tough to measure in there and be exact with. When in doubt, measure twice, and purchase once.

Something so easy sounding shouldn’t be that frustrating, but I think having it at a place that had alot of plug options was useful.

Joel

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Expandable plumbing test plug. Who knew? Proof that you should always post these questions on IDO first. Someone, somewhere will have a better way to do it than you would! Thanks for the advice.

Joel

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

i’ve used the rubber expandable plug in several locations on my boat also. one thing that is nice about it is that you can use a metal grinding blade to cut some wire ports into the sides of the plug. Worked very well for me.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I also have the 618vs. Plug the fill and drain from inside the livewell. I found that corks off wine bottles work just fine.

Then make sure to pull the fuse that runs that fill pump.

Even with that all done, I still use a camping Dry Bag for the items I store in that compartment. Typically spare clothes, rainsuit, life jscklets.

-J.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Jon:

Have you had any water leakage issues, or does the live well stay dry?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Works well for the times I do it. Typically cold water – winter fishing. The reason I don’t plug the drain / fill holes on the transon is so water drains out when you pull the boat. I suppose for extra protection, you could plug those 2 holes also. But you would need to remember to pull them befor hitting the road.

-J.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Here is the test plug. 1.5″ works on my overflows.

web page

aysugnacar

Some test plugs works better than others. It really is a matter of time over mind. Trade offs are biggest time killing elements and potential deal breakers.
    ship registries

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Well, I went a head and got the live well plugged. Now I can’t wait to fill it up with gear

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.