On The Fence

• happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Hello

Looking at a 2000 Ranger 620 VS with a 225 Opti. The boat is in very nice shape, but no kicker for trolling. I can pick it up for around 16K, but the Opti motor scares the heck out of me. Any advice would greatly appreciated.

Ryan

a1a

Gosh, I’m no expert, but my first thought was the boat alone has to be worth that, wouldn’t it? Maybe you should call and see what you could get on trade for your opti and go with an outboard that doesn’t scare you. Might be an option.

joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

I have a 2000, 200 hp Optimax on my Lund Tyee and have not had any issues with it. However, one dealer did tell me that my model had a lot of issues with blowing a head gasket. (major repair) I have had mine tested and always let my engine warm up before taking off. Otherwise, very fuel efficient, no smoke and quiet ride! My 2 cents

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Get a computer print-out of the engine and compression check. If all comes back well and the boat’s in nice shape – I’d jump on it.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

Get a computer print-out of the engine and compression check. If all comes back well and the boat’s in nice shape – I’d jump on it.

X2

Most of the Opti-issues are due to owner neglect. ALWAYS warm that Opti up for a minimum of 10 + minutes before taking off. Personally I think you should do this with any outboard motor and especially so with ANY 2 stroke motor.

I hope she checks out good for ya. If you want an extra set of eyes to look at it give me a call I’d be happy to go check it out with ya

DanMiller
    Lk. Wisconsin, Poynette

Happy, I have a 2003-200hp with 650hrs with smartcraft gages and no problems. Like someone else said see if you can get it to the shop and check for any codes. Good Luck. Dan

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

My first Ranger was a 2000 and it had a 200hp Merc Optimax… I too heard lots of horror stories from other Optimax owners but my experience was fantastic with that motor. It was fast, had that cool Merc growl and shot a big ‘ol rooster-tail way, way back. I loved that motor. I do however, take the time to break in every new motor exactly as prescribed in the owner’s manual – even kickers. I’d ask about whether or not that one failed and was fixed already.

huskerdu

I have always ran Merc. never any issues, maybe lucky?
    Make sure you warm it up change out the water pump every 2 years, Good Luck!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I think those early Optis were known to have issues, but if it’s made it 11 years, it’s probably fine. If you’re interested, follow the earlier advice and have it checked out. Sounds like a sweet deal!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.