Ram trolling motor stabilizer

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Yes. 4-6 foot waves will produce the occasional 8’ wave and in some places, like inlets, points and narrows, the waves will grow bigger yet. A SW wind up at Isle Royale and Grand Portage can be brutal.

The deck in my boat stands about 6-12” above the water so when you’re looking UP to see the top of the wave, you know it’s big.

The 4-6’ waves are actually pretty tough on a boat.

Btw. Good call on the midway mounted support. I didn’t think of the mount on he shaft.

fishingchallenged

I have the RAM version and if it was mounted half way up the shaft you would only be able to deploy your trolling motor a very short distance in the water below the support ball.

I have mine at the head for this reason. But I also use a transom saver so I drank that cool aid. ????

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have mine at the head for this reason. But I also use a transom saver so I drank that cool aid. ????

Nope. Only if you use the m-ywedge. whistling

aaronbecker
    Mantorville, MN

received the tough claw stabilizer and it was too short to reach my motor shaft so I had to return it and then ordered the base, tough claw and a longer arm separately. I switched bases to a rectangle one that will fit my mounting bracket better too

CBMN
    North Metro

I have one on both of my boats, a little different set up on each boat based on what was available at the time and the boats are different.

On my Pro V I have a 1.5″ ram ball mounted to a lund sprot track bracket and then the longer arm run up tot he older style mount that uses a hose style clamp around the trolling motor shaft to attached the mount to it. My river boat is smaller and has simple traditional gunnels, so I have actually used two of the ram claws with one ram arm in between and one claw clamps on the gunnel and the other on the motor shaft.

I am a fan of using them, they can still move a bit but it keeps them from hitting the gunnel in big waves or potholes on the road.

Crappy Fisherman

I have the Claw on my Ulteera. It works quite well. The way I mounted it the head will flex just enough to cushion it. I’m also able to put the cover on without removing it.

Attachments:
    1. image-3.jpeg

fishinguns
    Metro D, MI

So I’m planning a big boat out (20’+) I was thinking of going the Ulterra route as it seems the bugs have been worked out, but I didn’t think about the stabilizer. My pops uses a stabilizer with his Power Drive and I agree, I think they are worth the hassle to protect the unit.

So, getting a 36V motor in 60”-72” flavor, that pretty much rules out the Ulterra, because if I need to go up and take the Ram Claw stabilizer off after running each time, I may as well just manually deploy a tolling motor now, too. Anybody that has an Ulterra and believes in a stabilizer mount while stowed, think any differently than me? Lake Erie and St. Clair are in my backyard, so rough riding is an understatement and I am one to fish in up to 5’ers.

I just don’t see the point of an Ulterra for my situation now. Trailering, sure. But if those units can start slapping the gunnel on rough rides or even just an unexpected hole in the chop, I think I’d rather protect the investment.

aaronbecker
    Mantorville, MN

I’m running a new terrova and it has been operating perfect since I updated the software

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.