Ram ball joints

• tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Hey all, just wondering about a truck repair. My 06 ram was shaking at 70mph and I brought it in for a tire balance. Turns out they said that my upper/lower front ball joints and struts are shot and that is why the tires are cupping and shot because of the uneven wear. 3k quote to repair and replace 2 new tires. Does this seem like accurate pricing?

I have tools, but not lifts, and it seems like a complicated job. Thought about just putting new tires on and riding it out for a bit, but I’m not sure if it is safe to drive. Got some other major expenses going on and feeling kind of discouraged.

MNdrifter

I don’t think 3k is too out of line with 2 new tires included. Those alone are probably $600. I’m guessing they are including an alignment, and those ain’t cheap. It always happens at the worst times. Sorry man.

Iowaboy1

Greasy goose poop I’m not charging enough and that’s with the best parts money can buy!!

Send me your license plate number in a PM, I will write you an estimate.
    It could be it’s due to location and all but that sounds high unless there’s more going on than what I am reading.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

It’s not that complicated if you are handy and have the right tools. You’ll just need to bring it in for the alignment and tires.

Watch some YouTube videos and see if you want to take it on yourself.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Just did my wife’s upper and lower ball joints. Maybe three hundred bucks for parts , twenty bucks to rent ball joint press. Brought in for an alignment when done. Not bad to do at all, get a good jack and jack stand. I’ve done struts and they can be a pain in the butt.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Maybe your Vin # instead.

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>iowaboy1 wrote:</div>

Maybe your Vin # instead.

I get the VIN number from the plate number when I put it in my parts lookup.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Definitely have Sheldon run a quote. My experience is if ball joints are bad, wheel bearings are going too. I just did my ram 3500 . Took longer to run around for parts than doing the job

LabDaddy1

I thought rams had no balls? laugh

walldows

Get used to that bill if you keep that truck for any mount of time. I had a 2006 Ram and in the 8 years I had the truck I replaced the ball joints 3 if not 4 times. The last set I put in where for off road racing truck and those lasted until I sold the truck.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ahhhhh!
    The Dodge Death Wobble, the only way I got rid of it was to trade it in.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Ball joints and struts aren’t too bad, you can borrow the tools (strut compressor, ball joint press, pickle forks) from any auto parts store for free. They’ll charge you a deposit and refund it when you return the items.

I have done several front ends on 1500 silverados all around that 150k mileage mark. Aftermarket ball joints with grease zerks are great (I’m partial to Moog but I’m sure there are other brands). Granted the 2500 suspension will be heavier and maybe a little more complex but overall it’s a straightforward job.

If you’re somewhat mechanically inclined you should have no problem just Watch some youtube videos, do it in your garage or driveway, and go pay the $100 for an alignment as soon as you finish.

Deuces

Get used to that bill if you keep that truck for any mount of time. I had a 2006 Ram and in the 8 years I had the truck I replaced the ball joints 3 if not 4 times. The last set I put in where for off road racing truck and those lasted until I sold the truck.

Buddy has same issue with his.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Front end on those years were bad

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Thanks guys. I will get some other quotes and perhaps tackle it myself. I really want a few more years out of the truck as shopping for cars is awful right now, and ideally the wife is first in line anyway.

Iowaboy1

If I use the better ball joints for pricing I am seeing 271.60 for both uppers and 210.00 for both lowers.
    The better struts are 492.80 for the pair.
    Labor will run right at 425 gives me a total of 1399 and change for the entire job.
    Just guessing but tires depending on what you want will run about 280 per tire costing you 1120 and change will put you at the 2500 dollar range.

I estimated labor on the high side for any difficulty in removing the wheel bearings if they can be saved so you may save a little.
    However in reality unless they have been replaced and whoever did it used anti seize most often are wrecked in removing them.
    And then there are brakes, are the pads, rotors and such reusable??
    So, they are not that far off if they are using the premium parts that I estimated.

You can do this yourself ! If I remember right I walked you through a rewind spring and carb on grandpas motor a while back??
    If you can do that you can do this.
    Should you decide to tackle this and need help PM me and I will give you my cell number.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.