Rainy Lake Current Report

• happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

We’re heading up for four nights camping on Sag Bay 5.30-6.3. This will be our 5th annual trip this time of year so it feels like we have a good idea of what the game plan will be. That being said, it’s always good to have some up to date information. Has anyone been on Rainy lately? Any current patterns/reports would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! toast grin

Ryan

Sean Wachsmuth

Just got back from Rainy this afternoon. Fishing on the far east end by Kettle Falls was slow, but we still caught enough to eat and had a great time. Water temp was between 47 and 49. Everything we caught was on a jig and a shiner or fathead. Seems like the walleye have moved out of the river and are done spawning so in the coming weeks things should pick up nicely. Hope you have a great trip!!

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Sounds like a successful trip to me, Sean. Thank you very much for the info! waytogo

Erik

We’re heading up this week to Sag Bay. Any fishing report you can give when you return would be greatly appreciated. It’s been several years since I’ve fished Rainy and my last few trips were not very successful. We’re hoping to turn that around this year.

Thanks

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Haven’t been to RL in a few years but when we were there in early June the bite was shallow. Pitching plastics and stick baits to any wind blown shore. Keep moving and when you find them you could be in for unbelievable fishing. My partner and I once pulled 28 eyes off of 1 under water boulder in 4 feet of water. grin

Erik

Yeah, thanks for the reply.
    What you’re saying is always what I’ve been told. We’ve generally been on Rainy in late June, but I’ve never found that type of consistent pattern there. Our fish have mostly been in the 20-30 foot range.

With the warm-up, I’m wondering if fish are still shallow like people tell me they are early in June or if they’re shifting deeper because of the warm-up.

Raptormaster

Erik – Three day trip last week. Fishing near Rebecca Island, Woodchuck, etc. By the second day we had totally shifted our presentation to deeper water structure. There is a very aggressive Walleye bite currently on Rainy IMO. The only bad 1/2 day we had was in conjunction with 0 mph wind Friday morning. Witnessed a 23″ Walleye follow up a 23″ Walleye from 20 fow feasting on the hooked Walleye’s spit out like a Small Mouth would do. I don’t recall last time I have seen that and seems to indicate their appetite currently. Two 28’s, 1 27 between two boats. Probably 18-20 24’s. 1 25. No 26s. All the eaters you could ask for. Plenty of 18-21 inch class. This was best spring we have had in a long time up there and it was clearly a result of W being deeper because it allowed us to sit on top of medium to large schools. Sometimes when they’re shallow they are scattered so a guy just has to grind so hard for the numbers to add up. We used minnows basically. Good luck up there we will be back in July for a tilt.

Erik

Thanks Raptormaster. Interesting to hear fish are deeper. Hopefully the good bite on the Canadian side equates to the US side too as we’re not going to cross the border on this trip.

Thanks for the report.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

This was best spring we have had in a long time up there and it was clearly a result of W being deeper because it allowed us to sit on top of medium to large schools.

What a difference it can make being in different boats. One of our worst trips in a long time. Will vouch that the walleyes were not shallow but predict that is changing. Our theory was that the cold water and the big cold front 5/29-5/31 either kept them deep or pushed them down.

Not sure exactly what days you were up but there’s a good chance we saw each other. Just in case we didn’t wave

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.