Rain gear treatment.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any one using any of the wash in or spray on treatments for your rain gear. I’m looking at a couple different products. 1 is just a spray on and let dry and the other is a wash in product. Just curious on what’s the best option. I’m going to try and retreat my gear and see if I can keep it alive. I’ve done the spray on stuff but never had to much luck my self.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I tried the spray on treatment with my previous set of rain gear that has lost much of its “water resistance” after 10 years of use. It just wasn’t repelling the water like it used to. I don’t remember the brand or type. It was the spray on and let dry stuff.

The spray on stuff did seem to help, but only temporarily. Eventually I just bought a new set of rain gear.

I think if a guy was more consistent in trying to keep the water resistance on the fabric active rather than trying to “revive it” after a long period of time, it would help. The new set I bought in March 2022 will be getting a more consistent treatment.

tswoboda

WPB rain gear needs to be clean to work, otherwise dirt and oil clog the breathability and water clings to the dirty surface. Reviving the DWR depends on the specific fabric but for general waterproof breathable membranes like Gore-Tex you just need to wash it and dry it. If it’s been awhile and the actual DWR is degraded then use spray on DWR. Nikwax, Gear Aid, and Grangers are 3 popular options.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I use a wash in on my 2 sets of Cabelas 25 year old Guide wear, works for me.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The nikwax washable is what I’m looking at. it’s been a while since I’ve treated either of my suits and I should probably do it this year. I’m still looking for a new suit but I want to keep these ones alive longer as well.

tswoboda

Something to consider, the wash-in stuff coats both the inside and outside

picklerick
    Central WI

I tried a wash in after the spray on from Nikwax didn’t cut it. Each time I used their wash/cleaner first and just ended up buying new gear. It just didn’t work from me for some reason. This was a Guide Series set that was probably 10+ years old when I got it and worked for about five more years.

Cody Meyers

I do a thorough wash of my rain gear each spring, like someone noted above being clean helps it work. Then I treat with the spray on nikwax product. This has worked really well for me on my Gill rain gear. Every year in March/April I clean and retreat and I’m getting good results.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Every year in March/April I clean and retreat and I’m getting good results.

This is what I need to do. Just make it an annual or every-other-year type of treatment and stay ahead of it rather than trying to revive it after 10 years. doah

tswoboda

I do a thorough wash of my rain gear each spring, like someone noted above being clean helps it work. Then I treat with the spray on nikwax product. This has worked really well for me on my Gill rain gear. Every year in March/April I clean and retreat and I’m getting good results.

This is the way

Gregg Gunter

Nikwax tech wash is recommended for Gore Tex. Regular detergent will clog the pores in the membrane according to mfr. I use the wash-in stuff after cleaning.

jagermeister
    NW Ontario

Simms rain gear used nikwax wash 3 times still leaks Rain gear is well used but expected more from the washing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.