Radiant Tube Heater – Technical Question

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I have a 125 BTU radiant tube heater running down the middle of my 30×45 shop (12′ ceilings). I just build some false walls directly below the heater to partition off a section of the shop. The walls are not the proper distance for combustibles from the tube heater (currently 39″). I have not run the heater yet to test how hot it actually gets.

Question: Does anyone know of any deflectors that I can mount under to the tube heater to protect the walls from the heat?

I could get some plat steel and mount it on top of the walls with an 1″ offset. I did find a deflector online that can be hung from the tube heater but I can’t find much info on it.

Worst case I change out the tube heater for forced air next fall.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

This is only speculation. I would look at the deflector panels used behind wood stoves to a wall when distance is minimal. My other thought is to layer fire retardant batt material then a cement board or other non combustible material

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

This is only speculation. I would look at the deflector panels used behind wood stoves to a wall when distance is minimal. My other thought is to layer fire retardant batt material then a cement board or other non combustible material

Thanks Randy. The deflector panels used behind wood stoves is what I had envisioned when mentioning the steel plate with an 1″ offset which I believe is what is used for wood stoves.

munchy
    NULL

Definitely a piece of heat reflector is needed. If not the fireplace heat shield a piece of galvanized flashing in the shape of a wide V would work as well and keeping an inch or two airgap is a definite.

However underneath it on the top of the wall I’d place a fireproof barrier like sheetrock or cement board.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I went out today and threw some scrap pieces of sheetrock on top of the wall and heated up the shop. Sat out there for a few hours and the top of the sheetrock never got hot enough that couldn’t put my hand on it. I am going to put something up there be it sheetrock or a piece of steel but it should be more than adequate.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.