Great day for rabbits

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Dodge Boy and myself started off the day calling coyotes until the wind totally messed up those plans
    So, we regrouped and met up with a Chad, which is IDA member 2jranch’s nephew. We all agreed that instead of calling it a day, we could go chase rabbits. So, we gathered up the troops and started looking for rabbits on the hillsides covered in blowdowns and brush. Right off the bat we got to see a rabbit kicking in the afterburners and run over a small hill. The guys on the top and bottom had it pretty easy as far as walking. The guys in the middle, well, let’s just say you were lucky to get out in one piece That stuff was thick But, it was perfect habitat for rabbits. We pushed that stretch one way and then turned and pushed it back. Our shooting skills were not the best in this section We had a lot of rabbits sneak out behind us and get away. The next patch of woods looked good, but didn’t produce any action. The next patch was plum loaded with rabbits We had rabbits going in every different direction here. By this time Dodge finally got his gun dialed in I could have had more rabbits if Dodge hadn’t gave me his 20 year old dud shells The other guys were holding their own as far as shooting We ended up with 14 cottontails for the day. It is a blast when you get that much shooting in I know Dodge shot at least 2 that were holding tight 2-5 feet away. Can’t wait to get out again before the season ends.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Looks like a great day.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Looks like a great day.
    Ryan Hale

shayla

Holy Crap, that there will make enough stew to feed the troops, for sure! Good Job guys. Looks like you had em cornered.

shayla

Holy Crap, that there will make enough stew to feed the troops, for sure! Good Job guys. Looks like you had em cornered.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Way to go dudes
    That is a nice lookin’ pile of bunnies

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Way to go dudes
    That is a nice lookin’ pile of bunnies

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Awesome!! Now I miss Peppy, my beagle. Peppy and I chased rabbits every chance we got, when I was a young buck. Peppy has been gone for almost 25 years, but we sure had many great years together before he died.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Awesome!! Now I miss Peppy, my beagle. Peppy and I chased rabbits every chance we got, when I was a young buck. Peppy has been gone for almost 25 years, but we sure had many great years together before he died.

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

It looks like it wasnt a great day to be a rabbit,lol
    Ron

rlamar
    Davenport, Iowa, USA

It looks like it wasnt a great day to be a rabbit,lol
    Ron

shayla

In the famous words of Elmer Fudd…”kill da wabbit”

shayla

In the famous words of Elmer Fudd…”kill da wabbit”

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey Watts, aren’t those rabbits fun, what a shoot! Getting a bunch of rabbits hauling as- out of and around and through and over, well you know what i mean, lots of good shooting and what a rush. Did you guys have any dogs? Go with atleast one dog, rabbits are scared to death of a dog, thier fox or coyotes to them. Here my favorite receipe for rabbits Watts, try this. Heavily flour wet rabbits portions then brown in canaola oil or shortening. Fry them with a lid on the skillet while browning to keep from drying out and to keep the flour thick and moist so its a real thick crisp fry. After thier good and crisp, over low medium heat, then put atleast one can of (golden) cream of mushroom soup in the skillet with the browned rabbits with another (same) can of water. Take one whole onion chopped and a can of mushrooms plus the tops from 4 or 5 celery stalks and put in with the rabbits. You can add the pepper now or when you first start to fry, you can wait for the salt until its done. Put a lid on this and turn on low and let it simmer for an hour atleast checking and adding water when necessary. When done take the rabbit portions out and add a little water to the mushroom soup gravy and put this over baked potatoes and man it dosen’t come much better than that. If you like cornbread make some of that adding a little brown sugar to the final mix and sprinkled on top right befor you put it in the oven, in place of baked potatoes, makes your mouth water. If you can get your hands on some wild mushrooms put those right in while the rabbits are cooking in the gravy. Best receipe i know of for rabbits, try it, you’ll like it.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey Watts, aren’t those rabbits fun, what a shoot! Getting a bunch of rabbits hauling as- out of and around and through and over, well you know what i mean, lots of good shooting and what a rush. Did you guys have any dogs? Go with atleast one dog, rabbits are scared to death of a dog, thier fox or coyotes to them. Here my favorite receipe for rabbits Watts, try this. Heavily flour wet rabbits portions then brown in canaola oil or shortening. Fry them with a lid on the skillet while browning to keep from drying out and to keep the flour thick and moist so its a real thick crisp fry. After thier good and crisp, over low medium heat, then put atleast one can of (golden) cream of mushroom soup in the skillet with the browned rabbits with another (same) can of water. Take one whole onion chopped and a can of mushrooms plus the tops from 4 or 5 celery stalks and put in with the rabbits. You can add the pepper now or when you first start to fry, you can wait for the salt until its done. Put a lid on this and turn on low and let it simmer for an hour atleast checking and adding water when necessary. When done take the rabbit portions out and add a little water to the mushroom soup gravy and put this over baked potatoes and man it dosen’t come much better than that. If you like cornbread make some of that adding a little brown sugar to the final mix and sprinkled on top right befor you put it in the oven, in place of baked potatoes, makes your mouth water. If you can get your hands on some wild mushrooms put those right in while the rabbits are cooking in the gravy. Best receipe i know of for rabbits, try it, you’ll like it.

gat
    Glopaint,Capital Northwest Wisc.

Nice pile of rabbits guys,looks like more fun than a day of work should be less wind tomorrow watch out yotes

gat
    Glopaint,Capital Northwest Wisc.

Nice pile of rabbits guys,looks like more fun than a day of work should be less wind tomorrow watch out yotes

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

mossydan:

We used to do it the same way when we were in college in Madison some years ago. Only thing that was different was we mashed the spuds and you can’t forget the canned corn!!! Then it was sheephead and beer until we went to the bars!!!

How good are them back loins!!!

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

mossydan:

We used to do it the same way when we were in college in Madison some years ago. Only thing that was different was we mashed the spuds and you can’t forget the canned corn!!! Then it was sheephead and beer until we went to the bars!!!

How good are them back loins!!!

Mark

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Bensen its been awhile since i’ve been to this report but the back loins are the best.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya Bensen its been awhile since i’ve been to this report but the back loins are the best.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.