Rabbit hunt

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

It’s been years since I’ve gone out and hunted rabbit.But with Cole hunting this year he wanted to get out and hunt beings we haven’t hunted since pheasant closed over a month ago.

Ended up with 2 for our efforts.Got us out of the house and it was very fun.

Ryan/Cole Hale

waterfowler99
    Midwest

way to go guys they are very good eating i love hunting them too

waterfowler99
    Midwest

way to go guys they are very good eating i love hunting them too

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice going Ryan. We used to hunt southern Iowa heavy for rabbits and did we shoot’em up. We shot so many i went out and bought a loader because of the expense of buying the shells. If you and your son want some fantastic rabbit hunting go to around Henry or Wayne counties. Getting limits of rabbits down there befor noon is a good bet even starting at 7:30 when shooting begins. Its a roar and with an auto its very fun, you put that together with a good dog and you’ll have all the rabbits you can clean in a day. The rabbits down there don’t have alot of the wild taste because of the lack of sumac that dosen’t grow there, they eat it when theres heavy snows and it makes them taste wild, they taste like domesticated rabbits there. I know alot of guys haven’t had the oppurtunity to hunt really good areas when it comes to rabbits but for fun shooting it just about takes it in excitement for me. I’ve shot pheasants and quail since ive been a kid and for excitement rabbits in heavily populated areas take the cake for me. Give it a try in those counties, you’ll go back for more.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nice going Ryan. We used to hunt southern Iowa heavy for rabbits and did we shoot’em up. We shot so many i went out and bought a loader because of the expense of buying the shells. If you and your son want some fantastic rabbit hunting go to around Henry or Wayne counties. Getting limits of rabbits down there befor noon is a good bet even starting at 7:30 when shooting begins. Its a roar and with an auto its very fun, you put that together with a good dog and you’ll have all the rabbits you can clean in a day. The rabbits down there don’t have alot of the wild taste because of the lack of sumac that dosen’t grow there, they eat it when theres heavy snows and it makes them taste wild, they taste like domesticated rabbits there. I know alot of guys haven’t had the oppurtunity to hunt really good areas when it comes to rabbits but for fun shooting it just about takes it in excitement for me. I’ve shot pheasants and quail since ive been a kid and for excitement rabbits in heavily populated areas take the cake for me. Give it a try in those counties, you’ll go back for more.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Dan,thanks for the advice,I had a great time doing it.We only hunted 2 areas,some plum thickets and an old farm grove.Seen about 3-4 more but didn’t get shots at them.Were going to eat them today during the Daytona race.

Here is a pic of the rabbit in a ducth oven.

Italian dressing on bottom,layer of bacon,rabbit with breading plus garlic/onion powder,another layer of bacon,carrots,and apple slices with cinnaman to the very top.Here is a pic.

We might make it out again before season closes.

Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Dan,thanks for the advice,I had a great time doing it.We only hunted 2 areas,some plum thickets and an old farm grove.Seen about 3-4 more but didn’t get shots at them.Were going to eat them today during the Daytona race.

Here is a pic of the rabbit in a ducth oven.

Italian dressing on bottom,layer of bacon,rabbit with breading plus garlic/onion powder,another layer of bacon,carrots,and apple slices with cinnaman to the very top.Here is a pic.

We might make it out again before season closes.

Ryan Hale

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya! that does look good Ryan, i like the cinnamon idea. The bacon ought to be good too along with the carrots, that does look good. Hope you and you son can get out befor the end of marchs closing, good luck.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Ya! that does look good Ryan, i like the cinnamon idea. The bacon ought to be good too along with the carrots, that does look good. Hope you and you son can get out befor the end of marchs closing, good luck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.