Any crow hunters around??

• buckmaster

Had this forum made just to see how many crow hunters were on this website. So if you have tried it before post here and let us know about it.

This is my 3rd year of going after these birds and it isn’t as easy as a guy thinks. Every year I keep getting more and more into this sport, because it is just another reason to be in the outdoors. Plus, what other bird can a guy go after in the dead meats of winter when the fishing is slow?

Post anything and everything!!!!

riverking
    se iowa

i have been hunting crows for three years now and really enjoy it! our best year was the first year we tried it. that was before west nile kicked those poor crows in the butt. populations have not been the same since in our area. a good day for us was 5-6 crows. we hunt along the des moines river in southeast iowa and have several spots we set up on, call, shoot, and move again. usually have all our spots covered in three to four hours. wish we could get in on the flights into and out of their roosts. i understand that is some fun and fast shooting. have you checked out the crow busters website? i think the address is crowbusters.com. check it out.

riverking
    se iowa

i have been hunting crows for three years now and really enjoy it! our best year was the first year we tried it. that was before west nile kicked those poor crows in the butt. populations have not been the same since in our area. a good day for us was 5-6 crows. we hunt along the des moines river in southeast iowa and have several spots we set up on, call, shoot, and move again. usually have all our spots covered in three to four hours. wish we could get in on the flights into and out of their roosts. i understand that is some fun and fast shooting. have you checked out the crow busters website? i think the address is crowbusters.com. check it out.

buckmaster

Riverking,

I know I have a couple buddies that have walked the river bottoms and really put a hurt on them. Me, I will hunt fields or pine trees. I will be venturing out more and more here, but I guess you have to take it one step at a time. The place I am hunting right now there is a range of 15-20 crows and it is a flyway for them, so that is why after about 2 hours it is all pretty much said and done with. You might get a straggler every once in a while if you wait it out, but I have yet to do that. I find that my best hunting comes right away in the morning as well…..

Glad to hear from a fellow crow hunter……Like I said I am new and would like to hear any advice. Hoping to get a few new comers into the sport as well. If you like waterfowl hunting I think you will like crow hunting.

buckmaster

Riverking,

I know I have a couple buddies that have walked the river bottoms and really put a hurt on them. Me, I will hunt fields or pine trees. I will be venturing out more and more here, but I guess you have to take it one step at a time. The place I am hunting right now there is a range of 15-20 crows and it is a flyway for them, so that is why after about 2 hours it is all pretty much said and done with. You might get a straggler every once in a while if you wait it out, but I have yet to do that. I find that my best hunting comes right away in the morning as well…..

Glad to hear from a fellow crow hunter……Like I said I am new and would like to hear any advice. Hoping to get a few new comers into the sport as well. If you like waterfowl hunting I think you will like crow hunting.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Sorry guys,
    I posted on one of the other ones. ANyway, I love crow hunting and it can be very fun. I am not that good at it but I get them from time to time. What are your favorite set ups? I like the large group presentation but will sometimes scatter into smaller groups. They are much like waterfowl in that they need a landing spot, so if you can make a hole in your group the better off you are!

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Sorry guys,
    I posted on one of the other ones. ANyway, I love crow hunting and it can be very fun. I am not that good at it but I get them from time to time. What are your favorite set ups? I like the large group presentation but will sometimes scatter into smaller groups. They are much like waterfowl in that they need a landing spot, so if you can make a hole in your group the better off you are!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

crow huntin rocks

thanks for the forum James

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

crow huntin rocks

thanks for the forum James

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Great….A new forum.
    Crow hunting is awesome….. and is stupid as they look, they are one of the smartest birds in the air. I have done it, and am liking it more and more everytime I go out. If you think it’s easy, give it a try, and you will surely change your mind. But like BM said, it is a lot like waterfowling, that’s why I like it so much.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Great….A new forum.
    Crow hunting is awesome….. and is stupid as they look, they are one of the smartest birds in the air. I have done it, and am liking it more and more everytime I go out. If you think it’s easy, give it a try, and you will surely change your mind. But like BM said, it is a lot like waterfowling, that’s why I like it so much.

ducky
    Waterloo, Iowa

Just really started crow hunting this year with a buddy. We hunt along a creek bottom and use an electronic caller and 3-4 dozen decoys. We usually try to find a carcass of something and set some of the decoys right on top of it along with some ketchup for realism. Seems to really draw them in

ducky
    Waterloo, Iowa

Just really started crow hunting this year with a buddy. We hunt along a creek bottom and use an electronic caller and 3-4 dozen decoys. We usually try to find a carcass of something and set some of the decoys right on top of it along with some ketchup for realism. Seems to really draw them in

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Ha and then if you get bored you can just eat it! J/k yeah I like to take a road kill out with me sometimes as well. Usually if it is not a far walk. It does add a lot of realism to the act and can convince the most shy birds to come in. Also remember which hand you carried the carcass in with!

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Ha and then if you get bored you can just eat it! J/k yeah I like to take a road kill out with me sometimes as well. Usually if it is not a far walk. It does add a lot of realism to the act and can convince the most shy birds to come in. Also remember which hand you carried the carcass in with!

buckmaster

Nice pic jake……..

Looks like you have been taking advantage of the crow season as well. You will have to keep us posted on how you do..

buckmaster

Nice pic jake……..

Looks like you have been taking advantage of the crow season as well. You will have to keep us posted on how you do..

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

That pic was actually taken last year. Our season in MN doesn’t start until March and only last 1 month …..Then it opens back up agian durning the summer…(Although crows have been known to responded well to the call durning goose season too ).

but now that I think about it, I have a WI small game license that I suppose is still good? Maybe I’ll have to get out across the river one of these days.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

That pic was actually taken last year. Our season in MN doesn’t start until March and only last 1 month …..Then it opens back up agian durning the summer…(Although crows have been known to responded well to the call durning goose season too ).

but now that I think about it, I have a WI small game license that I suppose is still good? Maybe I’ll have to get out across the river one of these days.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Just a note to all:

I’ve been crow hunting with my brothers and a bunch of friends for many years now (coyotes too). I just heard from my brother…. He told me he just spoke with the MN DNR about crow hunting on MN WMA’s. They said you still “can’t” this year, but they are working on changing the state law for this. They said they think it will be fixed for the next (2006) seaon. Right now, as they have explained it, you can crow hunt on Federal WMA’s, just not the state’s…… If you have time, it may pay to attend the DNR’s upcomming open meetings to support this change to the crow season. Of course, private land is open to all – anytime there is a seaon or when they are doing – or about to do damage.

Splitshot.

splitshot
    Rosemount, MN

Just a note to all:

I’ve been crow hunting with my brothers and a bunch of friends for many years now (coyotes too). I just heard from my brother…. He told me he just spoke with the MN DNR about crow hunting on MN WMA’s. They said you still “can’t” this year, but they are working on changing the state law for this. They said they think it will be fixed for the next (2006) seaon. Right now, as they have explained it, you can crow hunt on Federal WMA’s, just not the state’s…… If you have time, it may pay to attend the DNR’s upcomming open meetings to support this change to the crow season. Of course, private land is open to all – anytime there is a seaon or when they are doing – or about to do damage.

Splitshot.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Good too know ss, I have a brother that lives in MN and loves to hunt. I will have to let him know that.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Good too know ss, I have a brother that lives in MN and loves to hunt. I will have to let him know that.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.