Quick strike rigs for walleye

• Levi Rosendahl

In season 7 ep. 8 of IDO they are tip up fishing on Mille Lacs for walleyes with quick strike rigs. Anyone know where to get a good set of these or is it best to make your own? Maybe buy two stinger rigs from VMC and attach? Any suggestions. Thanks

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I believe Frabill makes the ones I have but I can’t find them on the web anymore. Google Quick Strike rigs.

404 ERROR
    MN

I make my own. Very simple design that you can make very easily. I use 8lb mono for walleyes and either 80+lb powerpro or steel leader line for big pike. Found this picture online, but it almost exactly how I make mine.

Attachments:
    1. QSR.jpg

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

In season 7 ep. 8 of IDO they are tip up fishing on Mille Lacs for walleyes with quick strike rigs. Anyone know where to get a good set of these or is it best to make your own? Maybe buy two stinger rigs from VMC and attach? Any suggestions. Thanks

James and I made those quick strikes on the ice ourselves. I’ve never seen what I consider a good quick strike for walleyes on the market, most of them are geared towards pike with heavy wire and don’t have nearly the quality of hooks that I prefer personally. In my experience using Fluoro for eyes makes a big difference versus wire.

Here’s what I recommend for eyes…

Step 1 – Take a 2′ section of 30# 100% fluorocarbon leader line, fold it in half and tie an overhand knot so that you now have a loop at the center of the line with two ~1 foot tag ends.

Step 2 – Trim the tag ends to be equal length and then tie a treble (or single) hook on the ends leaving a length of ~6-8″. I highly recommend Sure-Set Trebles.

Step 3 – Add a cross-lock (crankbait) snap to the loop.

Will

Levi Rosendahl

Thank you. I will have to rig a few of these up. Now I just need mille lacs to get some ice!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.