Quick pool 4 report

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We got on the water at 630 this morning and spent the next 4 hours pulling crawlers and leeches. Lots of sheep, 2 short walleyes. Plenty of dead bug casings floating and a few live on the dock, but not near as bad as I have seen in the past.

It was a nice morning to be out. Lots of people out. Many we spoke with shared similar findings as far as the bite was going so we weren’t the only ones enjoying the sheep bite.

critter 1

Was on about 6:30 also, WI side. Pulling cranks in !2 – 15 feet the best. Took home a 17″ walleye and three decent sauger. No sheeps Clown flicker shad took all the fish. a few shorts and one northern also. Lots of cottonwood. all in all a good morning.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I wasn’t fishing this morning but it was a top 10 kind of morning. I could imagine being out early with the cool morning and the rising sun would’ve been great. Fish were a bonus!

critter 1

Yep… nothing like Pepin early morning,,,you can see a long ways…and fewer boats.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Also tried fishing yesterday. Left the back channel launch around 5 and tried several areas casting for Northern’s or bass and jigging for eye’s or whatever with plastics without any luck. Lots of Mayflies but no fish. Next time maybe but it was a beautiful morning.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve fished the pools 4 and 5 areas for 50 years and can attest that there are few things in this world more calming than an early morning start. Early….as in 5-5:30 AM. The water is generally flat. The boat traffic is nil. Seeing the sun rise not only is good for the spirit its a wonderful way to start the day. One sees far more wildlife early. In all the years I have fished the river I can count on my hands how many times I have done a trip after 11 AM.

There’s noting more satisfying than leaving the water with a smile on your face and fish in the cooler just about the time the throngs show up and have to fight over launching order.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I hear ya Tom but what do you have against sunsets? I like to go mid week to avoid the tomfoolery. The last few hours before sunset are magical. June thru September I usually load the boat by the light of the moon.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I love sunsets…in Mexico or Hawaii. One of the most stunning sunsets I ever saw was from a cruise ship during an Alaskan cruise. A storm was cooking up somewhere over the ocean, almost beyond the horizon. Lightning was flying in the storm clouds and when the sun back-lit the clouds the fire red came out and the lightning in that red was unreal.

Here at home too many trees and hills screw up good sunset viewing and I can’t handle the crowds trying to come off the water late day. The sun cracking the horizon in the morning is my thing…kinda like God telling me I’m alive, enjoy the day ahead.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Some days I would rather have the Mayflies then a bunch of Cotton Wood, hate that stuff when it gets thick.

shockers
    Rochester

Tom. Are you trying to challenge my reign as The Shepherd?!

I made it out Saturday. Very impressive sheep. Gigantic in fact.

I hear you on early mornings. So nice.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

No, I’ll let you reign supreme and the herder Luke. I caught two on the Zumbro one morning not long ago that were scary big…like over ten pounds. I seem to have my mornings where those things just like what I’m throwing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.