Quetico Trip

• Rick Janssen

Just got back from another Quetico canoe trip. We had great weather, was cool to start and warmed up all week. No rain and plenty of sun. Fishing was OK, nothing special but plenty of fighting SM and northern. We fished for Lakers for just a short time, I had one hit but was off about as fast as I could grab the pole. We could not crack the walleye puzzle on this trip. We had a perfect reef right outside our island campsite, but the northern had taken it over. Caught several on each drift over the reef along with a few SM Bass. Hot fun lure for the bass was the Whopper Popper. Just so fun to see them smash the lure off the surface. Was using plastic for the walleyes, but again the Northern just ate them up. Might be my last trip as I am aging out :-). Just don’t sleep as well without my sleep machine and nice bed. Over 35 years of paddling in the area so no complaints if this is my last trip.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You are lucky. I have aged out before ever doing it. Always wanted to but not enough to prioritize.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Sounds like a helluva trip even if fishing wasn’t the greatest. I’d love to do a Quetico trip before I age out.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sounds like a helluva trip even if fishing wasn’t the greatest. I’d love to do a Quetico trip before I age out.

I feel the same way. 35 years was a good run.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

What part of the Q were you in??
    I’ve done a few BW trips, the last one was up to LLC via Moose river, stayed in the Fish Stake Narrows area.
    I’ve fished out of Atikokan in the winter for lakers, and always thought about going in summer and heading into the Q from that direction.
    Congrats on the trip!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.