Question about Line

• Tyler Schaefer
    Southern Minnesota

Will 4lb. Berkley Micro ice line do good for Walleye, Crappies, Sunnies, and Perch? Or what do you recomend?

kodiak62
    Cambridge, MN

I personally never use more than 4# line on my ice rods. Just make sure that you have a quality drag and set it right and you will be fine. I usually use 2# on all my panfish rods. Even for walleyes, unless you are planning a trip to Lake Erie or Lake Winnipeg 4# is plenty.

I am sure some will disagree but this is what has worked for me. The only break-offs I ever have is from poor knots or when I am too lazy to retie after a large catch(usually a pike). Both are my fault and not the lines.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I agree with Kodiak62. However, there is no problem with running all 4 or 3#. It might not be ideal for gills but it will work.

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

In part, depends on the body of water. If you are fishing Metro lakes, 4lb is a real nice all around line. If chasing some walleye in big lakes like LOW or Winnipeg, better to have a stronger setup for that particular trip. Considering the largest Metro Eye I have ever caught was a tad over 6lbs, I’d think you are good to go! Caught plenty of gills and crappies on 4lb.

A way to mitigate the heavy line for smaller fish might be to run a few feet of lighter florocarbon line as a leader. This way you can adjust the leader line diameter to the size of fish you are targeting a little more effectively.

Amos
    Perry, Michigan

Just my opinion, I believe you are on the right track. While fishing in Michigan I use a lot of the ice braid. Four pound will handle almost everything. If you need to, you can even use a 6# flurocarbon leader. When fishing for gills and such, I will always use a leader and it will almost always is 2#. I like the braid, too, because it seems to have less memory than a 4# mono on the small spinning reels most of us use.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.