Q on MN boat registration

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

So bonehead me forgot to get my 2018-2020 until just yesterday. I know the DNR has been slow at processing registrations online lately. If I don’t have the updated reg. stickers on the boat yet am I ok we the proof of registration print out reiept from the DNR?

Or am I out of luck. I would likely first be headed to P4 and its a good chance the CO/sheriffs are out there so I will be checked.

I can email the DNR too, but I guess I guess I just thought to post here first since I like you guys (and gals) so much!

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

BK’s recent thread suggested he received a $100 fine for not having the sticker displayed, despite having already paid for the sticker and just forgetting it. Not sure if having the receipt would make a difference?

Have you called the DNR office in St Paul? If the application is already in process maybe you can just stop by and pickup a free duplicate sticker? The DNR office by the cop shop downtown St. Paul has solid customer service people who are known to be far more helpful than the people behind the counter at your local DMV.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not sure if having the receipt would make a difference?

It’s going to depend on the person that stops you. Some LEO’s have waited with the boater until a person bought the registration online while others have ticketed them.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Or am I out of luck. I would likely first be headed to P4 and its a good chance the CO/sheriffs are out there so I will be checked.

If they see an expired sticker, 100% chance you will get checked. It’s a conversation you should avoid. They start with expired tabs, then on to every other item they can ding you on.

Go to the DNR office downtown St Paul. They will print off a sticker there. It’s time well spent.

-J.

Reef W

I mailed a check on February 15th, I also forgot about the card I got a few months ago, and I got the sticker on the 24th.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I just picked mine up at the DMV (Roseville).

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Sounds good. I’ll have to run to the DMV/St. Paul HQ then. Thanks all.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

There is still plenty of ice, what’s the hurry with the Warrior whistling Last time I checked you have quite the list of things that need repair before hitting the water. whistling

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Yeah I get mine at the local DMV and you walk out with it.

TMF89

Had this exact situation last year, realized the night before a day trip to Pool 4 that mine had expired. I purchased it online, saved the receipt to my phone, got checked, and the guys were fine with it. Not sure if that’s policy or not, but they were cool with proof of purchase.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not sure if that’s policy or not, but they were cool with proof of purchase.

Who was it TMF?
    MN Sheriff
    WI Sheriff
    MN DNR
    WI DNR
    Doubt it was the Coast Guard, but it could have been.

Expired boat registration has been a money maker in years past.
    Your mileage may vary.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

There is still plenty of ice, what’s the hurry with the Warrior Last time I checked you have quite the list of things that need repair before hitting the water.

The boat list never ends, I break things faster than I can fix them )

With the move and settling in, the boat didn’t hit the water in February…that’s a shame.

You warrior is ready to go tho…when ya taking me out )

TMF89

BK, I honestly don’t remember, we were on a side channel on the MN side, but I don’t recall if they were COs or sheriffs. I would guess the latter, since there are a lot more of them running around than COs, but I couldn’t tell you for sure. I was totally upfront about the fact that I forgot to get my registration updated until the night before (Saturday night) so maybe they were more willing to let it go since I couldn’t have gone in and gotten a sticker anyway, it being the weekend and all? I know normally that’s nowhere near a valid excuse, I’m just spitballing.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It would be nice if they all did that…and maybe they do. toast

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.