Putting line on an in-line

• Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I should be getting my first in-line delivered to my door today. So any tips on putting line on an in-line? I bought the Eagle Claw pastic “Black Betty”. I’m not finding a lot of suggestions on-line other than one guy suggesting to layer the spool evenly with black electrical tape for backer. Is that a good idea? Does it work best if the line coming off the feeder spool comes off counter-clockwise? I’ve been using the Suffix #3 Ice Magic and was planning on 100 yds for this one too.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I would line it up the same way you do a baitcaster. If the line goes over the top of the spool on the reel, it needs to come off over the top of the spiller fool. Vice versa if it goes on under the reel.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

If it is not a multiplier reel I would highly recommend some kind of backing. I know a few people that use braided line and then connect that to their mono. I have a black betty that is a 1:1 and sometimes I wish i would have put backing on it. Got a little too excited to try it out.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I used some 8 or 10 lb mono backing,enough so that the main line I was using filled the spool….

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I used some 8 or 10 lb mono backing,enough so that the main line I was using filled the spool….

Thanks, I’ve got some of that here. Stranded here with my little guy sent home from school with a fever but seems fine now.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I ended up using electrical tape and it worked out great though I probably should have put even more on. Love the reel, fishes great in my living room but I think I need a house boat. John, your tip was right on. I never handled the reel before I bought it and expected the line to go under the reel but was wrong. If the reel works as well as it feels I won’t be buying any more spinning reels for ice fishing and am going to have one heck of a garage sale again this spring.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.