Puppy is about to get really expensive. I'm not crazy am I…

• mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Fantastic! Good to hear. I would of done the same thing you did.

hnd

Our first dog broke its leg at 2 yrs old. We put it down because while I could of made it happen financially it was still a lot of money back then (and is today, i love the dog we have today but I still probably wouldn’t pay $4000 to fix her if she broke something)

But i get it.

Billy J

That great news, money comes and goes. Friends for life are tough to find! good call on the surgery..

Jim in Wisconsin

I’m glad the surgery went well. God (dog spelled backwards) trusts us to make the right decisions for the pets he allows us to adopt, and dogs will love us forever, no matter what.

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

Figured I would post a final update. The surgery went well and it looks like she has made a full recovery. We had some tough months though because she missed out on a lot of training so she really enjoyed going over,under,and through the fence. Now she is a great listener and has even been off leash camping a few times this summer.

The wife and kids and dog are happy so there is definitely no regret on spending the cash.

Nice to hear some good news for a change!

Dan
    Southeast MN

That’s pretty awesome to hear Jonesy, thanks for the update. This thread brought me back and was kind of an emotional rollercoaster as you can see on page 1 I had mentioned that at the time of your original post I was pretty close to putting my dog down. She had bad liver and pancreas problems and wouldn’t eat a thing. We spent about $200 for pills and she wouldn’t take them, and when I tried to force them in she bit me. When that happened I decided that neither one of us was happy in a life of forcing her to take pills because she would’ve never ever bit me otherwise, so she had to have been miserable to do it.

After that I decided to give up on the pills and just do whatever I could to make her comfortable and happy for the few days I thought she had left. Did everything I could, went on one-block walks with her. Somehow when I went back and worked some night shifts I’d get a text saying “she ate a cracker” one night, then the next “she ate most of a piece of bread.” She was supposed to be on a really strict diet restricted to just a few things, plus those pills, but if she was gonna die I didn’t want her to do so with hunger pains. We slowly started increasing what I would consider normal human foods, boiled chicken, boiled hamburger, bread (I realize these aren’t necessarily dog foods but like I said, I didn’t want her to die miserable hungry).

Somehow….slowly but surely she got better, then damn near 100% back to normal. We finally got a property we were looking for and now she lives in the country where she’ll never need a leash again. A month ago I brought her to the vet for a check-up and he said some bad levels in her liver were still high but he was pretty surprised to see her still alive.

She’s 13 now, she’s real slow, lost some control of her bowels every now and again and she really can’t stand all the noise and moving from our 2-year-old, but she’s still doing alright.

Dogs man….I tell ya what….I swear outside of a person’s immediate family, I mean that immediate close circle, nephews/nieces, siblings, parents….there’s no one else in the world you’d trade them for.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

@dan well that story ended a lot better than I thought it would.

It makes me think of the last few months we had with one of our dogs. She needed IV 2 times a days because of kidney failure. We did that for at least 2 months. Not pleasant. She finally showed us she was done with it. The next couple of weeks she was happy until the last few days.

Iowaboy1

a home without a dog is just a house,every dog should have a home and every home should have a dog.
    so glad it all worked out !!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

The saying “Dogs leave paw prints on our hearts” is so true.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Dogs man….I tell ya what….I swear outside of a person’s immediate family, I mean that immediate close circle, nephews/nieces, siblings, parents

Heck, I’d rank my dog higher than most people you just mentioned.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Jonesy glad it all went well.I would have done the same thing,she was to young to give up on.I can’t imagine going without a pooch around.I lost two dogs in the last 22 years and both times said no more,couple long months later i’m looking.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.