pulling bumper hitch camper and boat.

• tight-lines

We would like to use one power unit pulling a camper and boat. Length will not be a problem in the states we are traveling too. We are looking more into stability of towing two bumper hitch units. Any experiences will help to make our minds up on what to do.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Most states only allow a double rig set up when the first one is a 5th wheel. Going with two “bumper” hitch units may severely limit your travel choices.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I believe he is correct. First trailer has to be a fifth wheel. Every state has an overall length rules too. Some as low as 55′. Most 60′-65′. I don’t believe any allow rigs over 65’total length. I’m sure there are requirments on the braking systems too.

Don Miller
    Onamia

I believe as said above the RV trailer must be a 5th wheel. I also believe the max overall length is 70′. I go down the road at 69′ 8″ from front bumper of the truck to the propeller of the boat motor. With a typical 16′ boat you can be legal with up to a 30′ +/- RV trailer. The truck is a variable, short or long box, standard, extended or crew cab.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

When I was looking into it a couple years ago (5 ish). 70 ft in MN was the law and the camper had to be a 5th wheel. This is MN now. no idea about other states.

jerry b
    western WI

When I was pulling doubles, I found that that no matter which state I was in and what they were legal for, being a Cheesehead I was only allowed 65′. MN is 70′,SD is 75′, but I was still only legal for 65′. jerr

Rob92761
    La Crosse WI

Wisconsin is now 70 feet long

desperado

Even if the law allowed both trailers (camper and boat) be bumper hitch trailers, would ya really wanna try it at highway speed or with a good crosswind?
    Could end up with the tail wagging the dog; which I suspect is why most states require the middle piece in this type of set-up to be a fifth-wheel

692fisherman
    champlin mn

almost positive that mn law to triple trailer is that the camper must be a 5th wheel or gooseneck then bumper to the boat….. no travel trailers then boat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.