Prop recomendation

• Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

I have a 2017 Alumacraft 185 Trophy with a Merc 150 four stroke. Interested in feedback from guys with this combo on what prop they are running and the pitch and what hole the motor is mounted. Mine came with a 17 pitch Vengeance mounted in the 2nd hole.It works OK but would keep it as a spare if there is a better option.Currently gets up on plane decent with a top speed of 42-3 with 2 guys and pretty well loaded. Wide open trimmed up about 5600 RPM.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

What are you trying to get. More speed hole shot? You don’t have a lot of rpms to help with. With a 150 you don’t gain a lot. If you get decent hole shot and planes well you are probably sitting good. Is an extra mph worth 500-700 bucks?

Kyhl
    Savage

I think it probably is right where it should be. My experience with my older 2XB hull is that IMO, it doesn’t need more bow lift and could probably use more stern lift.

Props with more rake angle are designed to keep from blowing out as you trim it up, bow lift. Since I don’t feel like the 2XB needs a lot of trim, I also don’t feel like the prop needs much rake.

Not sure what you are trying to fix. Does your prop blow out in corners? If so, at how much trim?

FWIW, I’m using a Vengeance 19 pitch on a 2004 T-Pro 175 with a 2014 Merc 150 4S. Going from memory, 2nd hole. I did try a couple other Merc props with more rake. One even lost a couple miles per hour. More rake means more drag on the prop, means less efficiency as it turns through the water. I’d only look for more rake if more bow lift resulted in more speed. Something I personally don’t feel the 2XB needs.
    My motor only turns 5,200-ish @ WOT depending on trim and only gets about 47mph, loaded with two plus gear on smooth water. Part of me would like to be able to say it can do 50mph but at what cost?
    It spends all of it’s time on Mille Lacs and is usually cruising about 36mph. I almost never run WOT unless I’m trying to beat a storm to shore. Making five mile runs each way can save a lot of fuel costs not running WOT. Do I want to burn 2 gallons of gas or 4 each time out? Times multiple trips a weekend. coffee

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m not seeing what the problem is? A loaded down 18.5′ aluminum boat with a wide beam and windshield isn’t going to be a 50mph boat with a 150hp. I’d be more concerned with holeshot and the ability to cruise on plane at ~30mph. If your setup is reliable as is, take that $500 bucks and spend it on gas, bait, beer, gear, etc.

MnPat1

I really like the rev 4 17 pitch. Changes the way the boat rides and is immediately on plane. Mid 40’s with the rev 4 and upper 40’s with a 19 pitch tempest plus on an 1880 ranger with mercury 150 4 stroke.

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Thanks for the replies. Didn’t say there was anything wrong with the setup, just looking for anyone with the same boat and motor and what they were seeing for overall performance. Particularly if anyone is running a Rev4 on this setup. Thanks again.

Kyhl
    Savage

That Rev4 looks interesting where they say it provides stern lift. Now I’m intrigued. Someone has to have tried it on a 2XB hull. Anyone?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.