Private Party Purchase – Bank Wire Transfer?

• tomr
    cottage grove, mn

When I purchased my boat out of state the seller would not take cashier check said there was a lot of fraud with them. Don’t really see how but he wanted a wire transfer. Went and looked boat over agreed I wanted it and had to drive about 1/2 hour to bank to wire transfer. When I got back to boat owners place his bank had confirmed receipt of money and hooked boat up and was on my way. Pretty easy.

CBMN
    North Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>toddrun wrote:</div>
    Yeah, cash is king for me, but this is too large a transaction for cash.

There is no such thing!

-J.

I agree with Jon and Bearcat as cash would be the easiest option in my opinion. I have made plenty of large transactions with cash and will be how I do future transactions also.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

last year I went to the bank to get 17k to buy a sxs. they told me they don’t have that much cash on hand unless it was prearrange. He was good with a cashiers check from the bank.

Angler II

I sold my last boat wire transfer. Emailed with the guy several times. He was from out of state. Checked out and let the banks handle it. I didn’t sign the title until I had confirmation from the bank that the money was in my account.

I would do it again.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

last year I went to the bank to get 17k to buy a sxs. they told me they don’t have that much cash on hand unless it was prearrange. He was good with a cashiers check from the bank.

I’d find a new bank.

B-man

Wire transfers are great, let both banks get in touch with each other and have them handle it. It’s really quite easy and fast.

Cash works too, but is definitely nerve racking.

I sold my boat 5 years ago at my house to a guy with $40,000 in hundos….Talk about a wad lol

We both took pictures of each other’s driver’s license, had titles, and a bill of sale.

That night I hid the money in the crawl space and not in the safe…and slept with a gun jester

All was good, but you never know what you don’t know.

To Bucky’s comment, my bank also likes a 24-hour heads up whenever drawing more than $5,000 cash out of an account. Mainly just because they may not have a ton on hand.

One time I even had to drive to two branches to pull $15,000 without notice.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Carrying around that amount of cash, it for sure wouldn’t be the only thing I was carrying..

It never is. Carrying is a daily thing. Should be for more

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wire transfers are great, let both banks get in touch with each other and have them handle it. It’s really quite easy and fast.

Cash works too, but is definitely nerve racking.

I sold my boat 5 years ago at my house to a guy with $40,000 in hundos….Talk about a wad lol

We both took pictures of each other’s driver’s license, had titles, and a bill of sale.

That night I hid the money in the crawl space and not in the safe…and slept with a gun jester

All was good, but you never know what you don’t know.

To Bucky’s comment, my bank also likes a 24-hour heads up whenever drawing more than $5,000 cash out of an account. Mainly just because they may not have a ton on hand.

One time I even had to drive to two branches to pull $15,000 without notice.

I had to do the same when I pulled out 20 of the 30. When I put my 150 down on the house it was all bank handled. They said I couldn’t have that large of a withdrawal. I can only take 10k daily with out advanced warning. Both my credit union and bank.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Cash, of course, should work but this might be too large of an amount for comfort. If both of your banks support Zelle that’s almost instantaneous and might be an option instead. Or you two could meet at a bank and have a cashiers check given straight to the seller so that they know it’s good.

Heads up, one of two times I’ve ever been defrauded, a Zelle account was opened under my name and somehow linked to my bank account. Chase bank, who owns Zelle, refused to discuss with me how this could have happened. I wouldn’t do business with anything zelle-related if at all possible. Just my first hand experience.

Jason

All of this chatter about fetching $$$ from a bank makes me wonder why we hassel with the banks altogether while earning .25% interest or whatever small amount it comes out to be. Time is $$, after you include the gas money and the time it takes to run to the bank your interest earnings are long gone in my opinion. As Randy Moss said – Straight cash

KPE
    River Falls, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishingstar wrote:</div>

I’d find a new bank.

Agree with Bucky on this one. Your money should be available. If the bank doesn’t have the cash make them get it. If they give you trouble you can sit there and take it, or take your money elsewhere and don’t do business with them.

Left a credit union I was with for 10 years because the manager asked what could I possibly need $3500 cash for. Withdrew my entire savings on the spot, closed my accounts and went to a new credit union. Simple as that.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

All of this chatter about fetching $$$ from a bank makes me wonder why we hassel with the banks altogether while earning .25% interest or whatever small amount it comes out to be. Time is $$, after you include the gas money and the time it takes to run to the bank your interest earnings are long gone in my opinion. As Randy Moss said – Straight cash

“STRAIGHT CASH HOMIE”, if you don’t add the homie then it’s not a randy moss quote

toddrun

Yeah, this is a newer class A motorhome, 6-figure selling price. Neither I, nor the seller wants to deal with that much ca$h. Beside, with that many $100’s, there are likely counterfeits in their somewhere, and the seller would lose those when the bank identifies them, its not on the buyer.

Musky Ed

I sold a 5th wheel to a guy from Canada about 10 yes ago. He wanted to use a bank cashiers check, my bank said no way. Cash or wire transfer. Told him he had to be here when my bank was open as even if cash, bank wanted to run it through their machine to check. If wire, your bank has their own transfer account to go to before moving to yours. Didn’t know what he was going to do till just before he got here. Showed up half hr late as he brought cash, 25G, and got held up at border. Looked at camper, we went to bank, and bank handled all the forms he needed done because of the cash he brought and insurance. Sold a boat on here awhile back, met the guy at his bank, and they handled everything, easy peasy. If you can’t do it at his bank, cash only. Also might add, that’s a red flag for me if can’t be done at his bank.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yeah, this is a newer class A motorhome, 6-figure selling price. Neither I, nor the seller wants to deal with that much ca$h. Beside, with that many $100’s, there are likely counterfeits in their somewhere, and the seller would lose those when the bank identifies them, its not on the buyer.

Makes sense butyour bank isn’t going to be giving you counterfeit 100s. If they do, them I would change banks. I’m a cash in hand person, both our vehicles, wheelers, boats, dirt bikes. Never once had a bank hand me a counterfeit 100. And I always have buyer meet me for a deposit if over 10k. That way if they are fake 100s the bank tells him

Anonymous
    Inactive

No way I would ever deal with 100K of cash either coming in or going out. If your bank can’t help you and the seller get together, it is time to get a new bank. It should be a very easy process.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I had a fella pay for a camper I sold in cash. $14000. in $100 bills. I put the money in my bank $9000. in one deposit and $5k in another.

Still got a call from the Federal Bean Counters asking what the money was for and I told them it was none of their business. Found out they could close my accounts and I ended up telling them anyway.

I did a wire transfer for the carver to a Wings Credit Union. No problems.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I had a fella pay for a camper I sold in cash. $14000. in $100 bills. I put the money in my bank $9000. in one deposit and $5k in another.

Still got a call from the Federal Bean Counters asking what the money was for and I told them it was none of their business. Found out they could close my accounts and I ended up telling them anyway.

I did a wire transfer for the carver to a Wings Credit Union. No problems.

If you start structuring cash withdraws and Cash deposits at a bank to avoid the CRT report it will show up as a BIG red flag. Now even if you are not laundering money for a drug dealer it sure looks like you are. Then again in Brians case all they would need to do is to look at what he eats and drinks and they will know right away that there is now way he’s working for a drug dealer !!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

In case anyone is interested in seeing what $14k in cash looks like.
    I still can’t believe he walked in the door with that much green!

PS Always Spam, but not always Hamm’s….

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0378.jpg

2. IMG_6037.jpg

3. IMG_6038.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I hope you enjoy thr rv, my grandpa used to have a big motor home and traveled all over enjoying his retirement. I hope I can do the same one day.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

The bank is wells fargo it was 230 in the afternoon they said they have less than $1000 on hand. I was not very happy with them but they said it was company policy.
    They did give some good advice. If you get a cashiers check and something falls apart with the sale do not tear up the check bring it back to the bank.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

It would be a hassle but setup an account in the sellers bank transfer the money to that account, finish the transaction at the bank every body ends up happy and safe.

FinickyFish

Just wanted to throw out the fraud you see with Cashiers checks is generally forgery. It happens. Source: I’m a bank fraud consultant You should be just fine doing a wire. Not much risk for “kiting” there since it clears so quickly.

wkw

The company I work with handles millions of dollars of cattle sales weekly. All wire transfers. Of course, the buyers are fully checked out and approved in advance.

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.