Prescott to Hastings

• Jason
    Hastings

Anyone here fish this area? Or from Prescott down to Treasure Island? Been out a few times up by the Hastings dam and caught a couple, just trying to figure out cat fishing! I’m not looking for any secret holes – just a general idea what I should be looking for on this stretch. Thanks in advance!

Snap

I can only speak for channel cats but there’s not too many places along that whole stretch of water where you couldn’t pick up a channel cat if you fished long enough. Any place with a hole or some slack water. Can even catch them in current if you have enough weight. Different story if you’re looking for any with size to them. Also not a flathead fisherman so can’t speak to those. If you’re on the MN side by Hastings you might also try the Vermillion around DuShanes or the Etter bridge.

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

That’s a lot of water, basically the entire pool 3. And yes, it’s all excellent channel cat water. I’ll admit I dont fish much for channels this time off year, but with the water being so low and the current being next to nothing, it may be tougher, or easier, to find channel cats now. With little current the cats might spread out and use more water, making things harder for you, or they may be found in areas with current. Dont underestimate how much current a channel cat likes. They are made for current. So, I’d maybe start looking for the most flow you can.

The areas I’ve been training my lab in have had shad busting the surface everywhere. You may be dealing with fat and happy channel cats, but channels are definitely chowing down now. Keep moving, moving, moving, until you find fish. Also, keep reading past posts, there is a wealth of knowledge on this board.

Jason
    Hastings

Thanks Fellas. I’ve been trying to stick to the slower side of current seams – if I can see them….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.