wasting my time?

• hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

So I have wensday and thursday off from work to hunt the full moon. Mother nature decided to toss a wrench in that idea today with the storm. The weather man says its gusting 40+mph.

Am I crazy to think coyote hunting is going to be worth it?

Where do you guys draw the line on deciding to go out or not?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I see the wind as a small benefit. It’s a bit of being lucky of course, but it does cover the noise of walking on crusty snow. The new snow may help that also. However, the calling distances are so reduced you gotta get right in there bedrooms. 40+ probably puts me on the couch. Hopefully the wind will lays day at night for you so you can get some good sits in.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I agree the wind will cover your noise, but 30-40 plus winds will kill your calling other than direct down wind and that wind is carry your scent a long ways. I like to take every chance I can get to get out and try, it never hurts, but Ma nature is not really on your side here. Good luck if you go.

johnee

That kind of wind would make it very difficult.

There’s never any way to say absolutely, if you wanna know, you gotta go.

It’s worth noting that I’ve called in 3 nice coyotes on days when I honestly thought there was no hope due to wind. But that was 10 gusting to 15 or 20.

Grouse

jeff_heeg
    Marshfield WI.

With the complete white out Blizzard and winds we have here, I would suggest getting together for a few beers and a burger and talk guns.

Hook
    Sometime on my travels to and from my trusted smith in Nebraska we should get together in Rochester for such a thing.

Cheers

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

With the complete white out Blizzard and winds we have here, I would suggest getting together for a few beers and a burger and talk guns.

Hook
    Sometime on my travels to and from my trusted smith in Nebraska we should get together in Rochester for such a thing.

Cheers

Would love too. Let me know next time your in the area.
    -Matt

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Im goona wait and see if the wind will die down at all. Ive got burned the last two times I’ve tried to get out yote hunting by the weather. If its not 40 below, its blowing 100 mph.

I’m itching to pull the trigger.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Im goona wait and see if the wind will die down at all. Ive got burned the last two times I’ve tried to get out yote hunting by the weather. If its not 40 below, its blowing 100 mph.

I’m itching to pull the trigger.

Me too! I also have the same time window open and it just doesn’t look good. I guess I’ll take Jeff’s advice and relax…. have a drink, and talk guns on IDO!!!

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Made 3 sets starting at 330. No takers. Heading out again sometime tonite.

kooty
    Keymaster

It’s blowing and snowing up here in the NW metro. I’m 24 hours from heading west to chase some yotes. For my sanity and your fun factor, I hope the weatherman is wrong. Gonna be a white knuckler tomorrow evening the way it sounds.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Ive got the truck loaded with rifles, shotguns, lights and my caller.

Got a new red lense for my light so im ready to hunt all night even if the clouds dont clear.

One stop at the gas station for some diesel and coffee and im going all night long!

kooty
    Keymaster

I woke up this morning hoping to see a truck full of yotes! Did you have any luck at all?

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Quote:

I woke up this morning hoping to see a truck full of yotes! Did you have any luck at all?

Me too, how did you end up? Prolly still getting some shut eye. Grab a and fill us in.

kooty
    Keymaster

The ride to SD tonight is going to stink. The roads were just warm enough for the stuff to stick. I hope I’m the only idiot out on the roads so I don’t have to worry about running into anything.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Quote:

Nothing.

Pretty bad when you can make 8 sets and not see a single dog. I had one in the woodline 100 yards from me that would run up and down the line challenge barking but would not cross out into the field.

Heard a few gun shots so atleast someone got some shooting in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.