February SD coyote hunt

• rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

Got an invite for a yote hunt on crow creek reservation land and adjacent property for a few days, any tips or input? I sort of have an idea what to get for licsense/permits from one of the guys who has done this trip previously but never can get to much info.Breaking in a new foxpro firestorm also. Thanks

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

That’s my old stompin’ grounds. I hunt down there on my cousin’s land just off the reservation.

SD requires a $35.00 non-resident varmint license. Can be purchased here: SD Varmint License

The reservation is located along the Missouri river so expect to see lots of hilly areas with some wooded draws. This time of year the river can/should be froze over so calling across the river is common. Assuming you are hunting north of the dam. The locals hunt that area hard from Sept – Mar so expect the coyotes to be a little smart. It’s been a very mild winter to this point so they aren’t struggling for food I’m sure.

Good luck out there!!

rgoi812
    Good hour from whitewater

Had a great time for 3 1/2 days hunting new to me area on the crow creek reservation. One of the group was finally able to score a dog while the rest of us struggled with spooked yotes running at mach 1 when ever they busted us driving in or setting up. Constant wind and noisy/crunchy snow was the norm and learning to use the new foxpro became a challenge but was still able to get limited results with it ocasionally. Learned to navigate some of that vast area so next time out should be more productive and hopefully will get be able to get back soon.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Beautiful landscape! Getting in undetected is a pain sometimes. Glad to hear you still had fun and got some action going! Too bad Kooty got them all educated for you

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Sounds like a fun trip even though success was limited. I love hunting the river breaks. Nothing better in my opinion.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.