A good evening

• adamgdunn
    Iowa

Wow folks! I just go the Savage model 10 Pred in .223 and it is a blast. I hunt in Iowa where unless you are hunting over a picked corn field you don’t often have to shoot real far. That taken into account I decided to go with the .223 for the woods and my 22-250 for the more open areas.
    Plus sides to the new .223 is it is lighter than my 22-250 and shorter as well. These small differences showed their true worth last night.
    Negative sides to the .223 is the cartridge capability, great for shots out to 400 (when your scope is dialed in) but much beyond that they drop off too quickly to really be affective.
    So enough about the rifle on to the hunt!

I got off of work last night at about 3:30 and booked it home. On the way I called my wife to let her know that I was planning on stopping by the house to grab my rifle and head out to the river bottom. When I walked in the door she had already put my rifle by the door. I LOVE MY WIFE!
    Off I went to the river. For those of you who have never been to Boone Co. Iowa the Des Moines River runs through the county cutting very sharp ridge lines as it goes. Being the moron that I am I parked at the bottom of the ridge. I geared up and began to hike up the ridiculously steep hills. After a 15min break half way up the hill, and a few minutes of cussing the holiday weight that I have put on, I made it to the top of the ridge to an old logging trial.
    The top of the ridge line was covered in Coyote tracks. With the cold temps and 6 to 8 inches of snow hunting must be getting hard for them. I moved along the tops of the hills for a mile or so and found a nice spot above a saddle in the line. From my position I could nearly see the river to the North, and the next hillsides to my East and West. I could hear the wind blowing through the tree tops but my little bluff was left untouched and still.
    I pierced the serenity of the woods with my Knight & Hale 920 Cottontail Call. A series of short blasts that gradually fade to a soft squeak seem to work best for me. With in 10 minutes he popped up over the western hill top 500yrds out. He was moving at trot, sneaking his way through the oak trees and windfalls. At 200yrds half way down the gully I made a kissing sound to stop him. He stood broad side ears pointed as I squeezed off the round. The Savage rang out its victorious report through the river valley as the large yote tumbled to the bottom of the hill.
    I slide to the bottom to collect my kill, then deciding that it was going to take a while to get back to the truck I headed out. To my surprise the dog was much bigger than I had anticipated, the average weight of a coyote around central Iowa is about 35 to 40lbs. Knowing that he weighed a bit more than that I was anxious to get him home and on a scale.
    A good evening if I have ever had one.
    Live weight total: 56lbs
    Weapon used: Savage Model 10 Predator
    Optics used: Hawk Optics 4.5-10X50 MAP 8
    Cartridge used: .223 Federal Power Shock 55gr Soft point

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

56lbs!! That’s a HAWG of a ‘yote.

Congrats to you!!

adamgdunn
    Iowa

THANK YOU! he was by far the largest I have ever taken.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

so what do you do with it now? Skin and sell it or typically what do people do with them? Just curious, I have never shot one but hear them at night by my place across the field, like herd of them.

adamgdunn
    Iowa

Well, goofy as it sounds he is going towards making a rug. I skin and tan the hides at home and this year i decided not to sell due to prices being iffy at best. Last year I made a simple over the shoulder bow quiver out of a hide so I decided to go for a more extensive peice this year.

vinnydelpino
    Up Nort

Neat story and nice pictures. How much are you getting for hides?

adamgdunn
    Iowa

Not alot. I believe the average is around $15 but I am not sure. Some one told me that the furmarket had a lot of yote stockpiled from last year and which killed the market. I am not sure if it is true or not. I do it for myself more than anything so I haven’t payed a lot of attention.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Congrats on the coyote

You are right on the prices for furs, it isn’t worth much money wise. But, since you are resourceful, you will get way more value for the hide with your own projects

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Congrats Dunn on a trophy yote! And kudos to you for using the hide for your own personal use!

dylan_w.
    La Crosse, WI

Sounds like you had a great day. Well sounds like your gun also performed in a good manner. And plus 56LBS jeeeez praise the lord you shot a hog.

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Great report! and 56lbs., good god was it half german shepard…WOW

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

I got a 49# last year, they just look fake when they get that big. Been a dry year for me so far, 16 days of sub zero weather and over 25 hours of hunting and nothing. What gives Back out when I get the chance.

smaders06

dude congrates what a nice yote
    sounds like u had the time of your life

adamgdunn
    Iowa

Well guys, I went out last Saturday on the East side of the state. After 6.5hrs I gave it up. My budy and I must have made 13 or 14 sets in that time and never got on one. We did however, find a honey hole. The very last patch of public ground we went to was ccovered in sign. there were beds, and urine poles, and kill sites and you name it. All of this was with in one square mile!!! Why was it that we didn’t see any? I’ll tell you. We found this spot on our way out of the area and just as we got in and set up a group of cross country skiers showed up to use the trails. LOL I guess it just wasn’t our weekend. We did get to talk to the skiers later in the day and found out that they had seen multiple yotes running across the trail the whole time they were out.
    I’ll be saving that spot for next time i get to go out.
    Hope everyone else did better than me.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Thanks for the reports Dunn! Good shooting, and awesome story! Aim small miss small right?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.