rookie predator hunter

• big water
    Andover ,MN

hey guys i’m looking to get into some predator hunting and i’m looking for a top notch preadtor guy to train me in
    calling,setups ect. or someone that knows alittle more than me, and that is not hard to beat
    i’ve got the general idea but i have not called anything in
    i need to know if i’m doing it rite

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Where is Andover? First off, what type of equipment do you have now? The basics are a rifle, some shells, a few calls, and camo.
    Rifle-Personal preference. I prefer a 22-250, but .223,.243, .220, .222 are all excellent choices

Calls-Rabbit screamer calls are the minimum you want. I am a Primos guy myself, but there are plenty of good brands out there.

Camo-Anything that breaks up or blends in will work. For years all I used was Carhart coveralls and a light brown coat. Now I use Predator White and Fall Grey patterns during the winter.

The biggest thing about predator hunting is LOCATION. If there are not any fox/coyotes in your area, you can’t call them If they are in the area you plan to call, next you need to play the wind and be able to get into a calling area without being detected. Use fencerows,woodlines, and low areas to get to your stand area. Call into the wind, but keep your eyes on the downwind side. Open areas are easier to see animals coming to the call. Woods are tough areas to call. While you are calling, make sure you remain quiet and still. Coyotes can see the smallest movements from quite a distance. You can get videos that show basic coyote set-ups as well as how the pros call.
    Coyote hunting can get very addicting and cause a person to “need” all types of extra gear. I myself have 2 different rifles,hand calls, electronic calls,decoys, digital calls, and several other little items. But you don’t need all that. All you really need are a rifle, hand calls, shells, and some camo I could go on and on, but I will stop here for now.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Where is Andover? First off, what type of equipment do you have now? The basics are a rifle, some shells, a few calls, and camo.
    Rifle-Personal preference. I prefer a 22-250, but .223,.243, .220, .222 are all excellent choices

Calls-Rabbit screamer calls are the minimum you want. I am a Primos guy myself, but there are plenty of good brands out there.

Camo-Anything that breaks up or blends in will work. For years all I used was Carhart coveralls and a light brown coat. Now I use Predator White and Fall Grey patterns during the winter.

The biggest thing about predator hunting is LOCATION. If there are not any fox/coyotes in your area, you can’t call them If they are in the area you plan to call, next you need to play the wind and be able to get into a calling area without being detected. Use fencerows,woodlines, and low areas to get to your stand area. Call into the wind, but keep your eyes on the downwind side. Open areas are easier to see animals coming to the call. Woods are tough areas to call. While you are calling, make sure you remain quiet and still. Coyotes can see the smallest movements from quite a distance. You can get videos that show basic coyote set-ups as well as how the pros call.
    Coyote hunting can get very addicting and cause a person to “need” all types of extra gear. I myself have 2 different rifles,hand calls, electronic calls,decoys, digital calls, and several other little items. But you don’t need all that. All you really need are a rifle, hand calls, shells, and some camo I could go on and on, but I will stop here for now.

Shorthair

gutpile – Check out predatormasters.com there is more information about predator hunting calls etc. than a person can imagine on that site.

Shorthair

gutpile – Check out predatormasters.com there is more information about predator hunting calls etc. than a person can imagine on that site.

big water
    Andover ,MN

Boy this could get expensive that web site was cool

p.s amwatson
    Andover is 30 miles or so north of the cities

big water
    Andover ,MN

Boy this could get expensive that web site was cool

p.s amwatson
    Andover is 30 miles or so north of the cities

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I will also second PM.com I spend a lot of time there

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I will also second PM.com I spend a lot of time there

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.