Rifle recommendations

• burbach
    SE Minnesota

Do any of you have recommendations on a rifle to use for predator hunting?

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

.223 would be a great choice alvin mac also has some other great preditor guns idk anything listed so far is nice and flat shooting! i really like a .223 though great coyote and prarie dog gun at the same time! good luck on the selection!

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

.223 would be a great choice alvin mac also has some other great preditor guns idk anything listed so far is nice and flat shooting! i really like a .223 though great coyote and prarie dog gun at the same time! good luck on the selection!

burbach
    SE Minnesota

Would a .300 Savage be overkill for this? How do you think it would work as a a predator rifle?

burbach
    SE Minnesota

Would a .300 Savage be overkill for this? How do you think it would work as a a predator rifle?

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

A .300 is a very big bullet for fox and coyote.Stick with a .223 or 22-250 are perfect!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

A .300 is a very big bullet for fox and coyote.Stick with a .223 or 22-250 are perfect!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I guess it all depends on how you look at it, as far as caliber. If you just want to hammer them or split them in 2, than the .300 is perfect If you are like me and want to save the fur, then it is definitely overkill So, any caliber can be a predator thumper.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I guess it all depends on how you look at it, as far as caliber. If you just want to hammer them or split them in 2, than the .300 is perfect If you are like me and want to save the fur, then it is definitely overkill So, any caliber can be a predator thumper.

Lynch6913
    MN, USA, Hayfield

i’m running yotes with hounds, and i’m thinkin i i were to use a .22lr repeader and hit him a couple o times the dogs could catch up and have a little fun with it. (by that i mean a 5-8 dog pile on the poor little varmit.) but do ya think that would work? any help apprechieated!!

Lynch6913
    MN, USA, Hayfield

i’m running yotes with hounds, and i’m thinkin i i were to use a .22lr repeader and hit him a couple o times the dogs could catch up and have a little fun with it. (by that i mean a 5-8 dog pile on the poor little varmit.) but do ya think that would work? any help apprechieated!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have a love hate relationship with coyotes. But, the way you worded your post, kind of worries me. Are you saying you want to shoot the coyotes a few times and then turn the dogs on them? I may be reading this wrong so correct me if I am wrong. But, if that is your plan, that is so unethical. A coyote does not deserve to be purposely wounded just to let the dogs catch him and tear him to pieces. Now I understand it is common for people to use dogs to run coyotes, and to each their own. But they don’t shoot them first. In Colorado we have had coyotes kill newborn calves. Even then, I still have a great respect for them and will only kill them in the most quick and ethical way possible.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have a love hate relationship with coyotes. But, the way you worded your post, kind of worries me. Are you saying you want to shoot the coyotes a few times and then turn the dogs on them? I may be reading this wrong so correct me if I am wrong. But, if that is your plan, that is so unethical. A coyote does not deserve to be purposely wounded just to let the dogs catch him and tear him to pieces. Now I understand it is common for people to use dogs to run coyotes, and to each their own. But they don’t shoot them first. In Colorado we have had coyotes kill newborn calves. Even then, I still have a great respect for them and will only kill them in the most quick and ethical way possible.

Lynch6913
    MN, USA, Hayfield

i am terribly sorry for the way that came out. i worded it incorectly. i would never wound an anamal then let the dogs out. i would allready have the dogs git it up and running it like ah hound hunt, but while they are chasing the yote i would shoot it so the dog would catch up to it fairly quickly. sorry for the misunderstanding. but do u think it would be adequet?

Lynch6913
    MN, USA, Hayfield

i am terribly sorry for the way that came out. i worded it incorectly. i would never wound an anamal then let the dogs out. i would allready have the dogs git it up and running it like ah hound hunt, but while they are chasing the yote i would shoot it so the dog would catch up to it fairly quickly. sorry for the misunderstanding. but do u think it would be adequet?

burbach
    SE Minnesota

All, thanks for the input. FYI, I ended up getting a used Remmington .243 model 700 with a Simmons 2.5-10×50 scope for $350. Good shape, pretty good deal.

burbach
    SE Minnesota

All, thanks for the input. FYI, I ended up getting a used Remmington .243 model 700 with a Simmons 2.5-10×50 scope for $350. Good shape, pretty good deal.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Nothing wrong with a ised rifle My favorite rifle was a used Ruger M77 .22-.250 with a Leupold scope on her and I got it for the same price, $350. A lot of coyotes fell to that gun. The .243 will make an excellent coyote. In the wind it will be better than the .250. Have fun and go shoot some coyotes

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Nothing wrong with a ised rifle My favorite rifle was a used Ruger M77 .22-.250 with a Leupold scope on her and I got it for the same price, $350. A lot of coyotes fell to that gun. The .243 will make an excellent coyote. In the wind it will be better than the .250. Have fun and go shoot some coyotes

burbach
    SE Minnesota

It was actually an early Christmas present for my 14 year old son. I am sure he will have it out this weekend.

burbach
    SE Minnesota

It was actually an early Christmas present for my 14 year old son. I am sure he will have it out this weekend.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That is a sweet X-Mas present The other good thing is it doubles as great deer gun as well. I use the .243 for both and it works great. My .22-.250 is still my go to gun for coyotes, but the .243 gets the nod every now and then

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That is a sweet X-Mas present The other good thing is it doubles as great deer gun as well. I use the .243 for both and it works great. My .22-.250 is still my go to gun for coyotes, but the .243 gets the nod every now and then

Lynch6913
    MN, USA, Hayfield

that’s nice. hope u both git allot of huntin in. nothin better than taking a kid hunting!! as was said it is a flat shootin gun and is very virsitile between spiecies!!
    Good luck with it!!

Lynch6913
    MN, USA, Hayfield

that’s nice. hope u both git allot of huntin in. nothin better than taking a kid hunting!! as was said it is a flat shootin gun and is very virsitile between spiecies!!
    Good luck with it!!

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I think the 243 is an excellent rifle. That being said It is a little too hot for fur collection ans is really too small for deer in my opinion. Just my opinion. I dont want to step on to many toes

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

I think the 243 is an excellent rifle. That being said It is a little too hot for fur collection ans is really too small for deer in my opinion. Just my opinion. I dont want to step on to many toes

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You should see what a .22-.250 does to a deer Hit them in the boiler room and they are done. The .243 makes a heck of a mess and they don’t run very far at all. Most of the time they fall within sight As far as coyotes go, you are correct on the .243 It is a little hot for saving fur. But a lot of variables come into play as well. Shot placement, grain of bullet, distance of shot, and if you hit bones or not. At least with the .243 if you do hit bone your bullet will not “splash” like some of the smaller calibres. It will shatter them and either pass through or lose enough velocity to stop. A small calibre bullet that splashes on a shoulder bone is going to resilt in a lost coyote that is now a lot smarter

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You should see what a .22-.250 does to a deer Hit them in the boiler room and they are done. The .243 makes a heck of a mess and they don’t run very far at all. Most of the time they fall within sight As far as coyotes go, you are correct on the .243 It is a little hot for saving fur. But a lot of variables come into play as well. Shot placement, grain of bullet, distance of shot, and if you hit bones or not. At least with the .243 if you do hit bone your bullet will not “splash” like some of the smaller calibres. It will shatter them and either pass through or lose enough velocity to stop. A small calibre bullet that splashes on a shoulder bone is going to resilt in a lost coyote that is now a lot smarter

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

I think the .243 is a great deer gun I have alot of friends that use them for whitetails and also mule deer just my 2 cents.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.