Red and gray fox questions

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Is there anyone here that has good experience with the art of calling fox? I would like to get a red or gray to have a full body mount done. I have plenty of experience with coyotes, but the fox have eluded me so far. I know there are grays on one of my calling areas, but I am not sure what to use for prey sounds or when the best time to call is. Any tips out there?

jigginfool
    Rochester, MN

Yes, I have some fox-calling experience. Been at it for over 15-years. So here goes..,

For starters, I am assuming that you are calling at night? In MN, we can call at night, but cannot use lights, that means that you are calling under the moon, and over snow. Use a scope, even if you are shooting a shotgun. It gives much better definition, especially if the fox responds, but stops in the shadows. And most IMPORTANT of all, you MUST use the wind. If you are an experienced coyote-caller, you know that.

Now to the foxes. The gray will be the easiest of the two for you to call. They are really fearless little critters compared to a red. To sucker them in, use an electronic call, and use a “gray-fox pup”, “gray-fox fight” or a “red fox-gray fox fight”. If they haven’t been called to death, you will certainly call them in with one of these calls. I have had them literally run right past me, full tilt, and bury their heads in the speaker. You simply cannot mess this one up.

Now to the red-fox. A completely and totally different critter than the gray. They are very cautious. “Smart as a fox” really should be stated “chicken as a fox”. And with a strong population of coyotes, the red is even less prone to run in, as he doesn’t want to become the main-course on tonights menu. But they can still be had. Again, use your electronic caller, and use high-pitched distress sounds such as rodents or birds, even baby-cottontails. You will need to be extremely cautious when and where you set up. I can almost assure you that this critter will circle downwind. So give him an easy way to do this. Set up your electronic caller about 50-yards upwind of a fenceline, in a slough, turn it on, then you hustle back to that fenceline downwind of the call. You pop him as he trots downwind of the sounds, as he comes along the fenceline. Use an old farm-road or logging road the same as a fenceline.

If you have a buddy, then double-teaming them is most effective. One guy stays at the call, the other posts downwind. Make dang sure that your buddy is a knowledgeable hunter and stays where he is supposed to. Otherwise, this is a dangerous situation if he moves, and you don’t see him.

There you have it. You should be able to kill both of these critters in a couple nights of calling, if conditions are prime.

Have fun.., and BE SAFE!!!!!

jigginfool
    Rochester, MN

Yes, I have some fox-calling experience. Been at it for over 15-years. So here goes..,

For starters, I am assuming that you are calling at night? In MN, we can call at night, but cannot use lights, that means that you are calling under the moon, and over snow. Use a scope, even if you are shooting a shotgun. It gives much better definition, especially if the fox responds, but stops in the shadows. And most IMPORTANT of all, you MUST use the wind. If you are an experienced coyote-caller, you know that.

Now to the foxes. The gray will be the easiest of the two for you to call. They are really fearless little critters compared to a red. To sucker them in, use an electronic call, and use a “gray-fox pup”, “gray-fox fight” or a “red fox-gray fox fight”. If they haven’t been called to death, you will certainly call them in with one of these calls. I have had them literally run right past me, full tilt, and bury their heads in the speaker. You simply cannot mess this one up.

Now to the red-fox. A completely and totally different critter than the gray. They are very cautious. “Smart as a fox” really should be stated “chicken as a fox”. And with a strong population of coyotes, the red is even less prone to run in, as he doesn’t want to become the main-course on tonights menu. But they can still be had. Again, use your electronic caller, and use high-pitched distress sounds such as rodents or birds, even baby-cottontails. You will need to be extremely cautious when and where you set up. I can almost assure you that this critter will circle downwind. So give him an easy way to do this. Set up your electronic caller about 50-yards upwind of a fenceline, in a slough, turn it on, then you hustle back to that fenceline downwind of the call. You pop him as he trots downwind of the sounds, as he comes along the fenceline. Use an old farm-road or logging road the same as a fenceline.

If you have a buddy, then double-teaming them is most effective. One guy stays at the call, the other posts downwind. Make dang sure that your buddy is a knowledgeable hunter and stays where he is supposed to. Otherwise, this is a dangerous situation if he moves, and you don’t see him.

There you have it. You should be able to kill both of these critters in a couple nights of calling, if conditions are prime.

Have fun.., and BE SAFE!!!!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

jiggin fool-Excellent post
    That is the type of info I was looking for and I know it will help myself and many others on the basics of calling fox. I usually hunt all different times for coyotes, but I do go out at full moon times for a few night calling sessions. The area I will be primarily calling the fox is pretty much left to me after deer season, so I know they have not been called The good thing is, I already have all the calls you mentioned both on tape and digital cards. I have not actually seen any live fox, just their tracks in the snow in the river bottom areas.
    Please feel free to post any more tips throughout the season and let us know about your success and about the ones that got away. With your experience, there is a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be shared

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

jiggin fool-Excellent post
    That is the type of info I was looking for and I know it will help myself and many others on the basics of calling fox. I usually hunt all different times for coyotes, but I do go out at full moon times for a few night calling sessions. The area I will be primarily calling the fox is pretty much left to me after deer season, so I know they have not been called The good thing is, I already have all the calls you mentioned both on tape and digital cards. I have not actually seen any live fox, just their tracks in the snow in the river bottom areas.
    Please feel free to post any more tips throughout the season and let us know about your success and about the ones that got away. With your experience, there is a wealth of knowledge just waiting to be shared

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good luck on getting one of those Grays. My bro got one two years ago with his bow and mounted it. It looks exotic. I’ve never seen one in the wild.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Good luck on getting one of those Grays. My bro got one two years ago with his bow and mounted it. It looks exotic. I’ve never seen one in the wild.

Greyghost

Red fox are easiest at breeding time around the end of January. Look for pairs the males wont run unless the female does. Also look for humps in flat fields on den sights in cold weather they will sit on top of there den in a ball collecting the morning sun use a varmit caliber rifle that shoots well and snipe one at a couple hundred yards lots of fun also.

Greyghost

Red fox are easiest at breeding time around the end of January. Look for pairs the males wont run unless the female does. Also look for humps in flat fields on den sights in cold weather they will sit on top of there den in a ball collecting the morning sun use a varmit caliber rifle that shoots well and snipe one at a couple hundred yards lots of fun also.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.