calls vs. dogs

• shore shinner
    Eau Claire Wi.

Hey I was wondering for any coyote hunters well I have lots of other hunters around where I hunt I don’t have much access because I can’t drive so it is done by 4-wheeler. But there are a lot of dog runners and I was wondering how much you think this would effect for calling wise. latley I haven’t seen a yote in almost 2 1/2 months. I’ve tried 8 different calls but nothing seems to prove true. But maybe I hunt it to hard I hunt down in this 2 mile radius maybe 3 times a week. Or could they just not want to come in because of being ran so much any help with what I could be doing wrong would definatly be helpful.
    shore shiner

herb
    6ft under

I think you pretty much answered your own question.
    Calling too often in a small area. 2 mile radius is quite small given the fact a yote can have a home area of up to 7 or 8 square miles.
    The pressure from hounds will also be a factor.
    Try to put yourself in the coyotes shoes.
    You’re getting your tail run off every other day, sometimes all day long. Then when you decide to look for a meal, and you hear the dying rabbit blues and go to check it out like a coyote is trained to do, you smell a human. Not saying for sure that they are winding you shore shiner, but I’m betting they are or did at one time and then they associate the smell with the sound and will not come to the call unless very desparate for food. That’s probably the biggest mistake a caller makes and a lot of times he doesn’t even know it happened. Sometimes it can’t be helped because of the terrain he sets up in.
    My advice to a young hunter would be to get on a fresh set of tracks in the snow and try to walk the animal down. Use binoculars to try and spot him ahead of you and figuire a route to get close enough for a shot, keeping in mind what the wind is doing. It’s a good learning experience.

herb
    6ft under

I think you pretty much answered your own question.
    Calling too often in a small area. 2 mile radius is quite small given the fact a yote can have a home area of up to 7 or 8 square miles.
    The pressure from hounds will also be a factor.
    Try to put yourself in the coyotes shoes.
    You’re getting your tail run off every other day, sometimes all day long. Then when you decide to look for a meal, and you hear the dying rabbit blues and go to check it out like a coyote is trained to do, you smell a human. Not saying for sure that they are winding you shore shiner, but I’m betting they are or did at one time and then they associate the smell with the sound and will not come to the call unless very desparate for food. That’s probably the biggest mistake a caller makes and a lot of times he doesn’t even know it happened. Sometimes it can’t be helped because of the terrain he sets up in.
    My advice to a young hunter would be to get on a fresh set of tracks in the snow and try to walk the animal down. Use binoculars to try and spot him ahead of you and figuire a route to get close enough for a shot, keeping in mind what the wind is doing. It’s a good learning experience.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.