HERE KITTY KITTY

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Got this in an e-mail, not sure of it’s authenticity.

Quote:

Looks like Iowa deer hunting just got a little more exciting.

This mountain lion was shot north of Villisca, Iowa. Close to Morton Mills*.
    The man pictured was going deer hunting when he heard his neighbors cows
    making noise. He discovered this cat attacking some calves.
    He shot and reportedly the cat jumped eight feet into the air, ran about
    100 yards and died. The man in the picture is over 6 feet tall and the cat weighed over 200 pounds.

* Tenville and Morton Mills are tiny little towns in rural Iowa. If you blink you’ll miss them while driving by the towns.
    Tenville has a population of 8? Tenville is located between Morton Mills and Villisca

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Steve,

There is a population of cougars in Iowa according to the DNR. I watched a T.V. show on Iowa Public Television about the cats. The cats are finding the expanding deer herd to their liking. The show said that if you encounter a mountain lion that you should wave your arms and make as much noise as possible. Most of the cats live in western, northwestern and northcentral Iowa however there have been sightings in eastern Iowa as well. One cougar was recently spotted in the City of Fort Dodge which is a small city of around 40,000 people.

The fact that there are mountain lions roaming around Iowa is one thing. The size of the cat in the photo is another. If it were real that cat is the size of an African Lion. Plus there is no season for hunting mountain lions in Iowa. Had this guy shot a lion the DNR would have taken the animal and fined him big time. I think it would have been on the DNR’s web site as well.

I have not seen a cougar in the wild. I did see a bobcat a couple years ago while bow hunting. There is no season on bobcats either although the DNR did take them off their endangered species list as the numbers of cats have increased.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Steve,

There is a population of cougars in Iowa according to the DNR. I watched a T.V. show on Iowa Public Television about the cats. The cats are finding the expanding deer herd to their liking. The show said that if you encounter a mountain lion that you should wave your arms and make as much noise as possible. Most of the cats live in western, northwestern and northcentral Iowa however there have been sightings in eastern Iowa as well. One cougar was recently spotted in the City of Fort Dodge which is a small city of around 40,000 people.

The fact that there are mountain lions roaming around Iowa is one thing. The size of the cat in the photo is another. If it were real that cat is the size of an African Lion. Plus there is no season for hunting mountain lions in Iowa. Had this guy shot a lion the DNR would have taken the animal and fined him big time. I think it would have been on the DNR’s web site as well.

I have not seen a cougar in the wild. I did see a bobcat a couple years ago while bow hunting. There is no season on bobcats either although the DNR did take them off their endangered species list as the numbers of cats have increased.

Eyehunter

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

Plus there is no season for hunting mountain lions in Iowa. Had this guy shot a lion the DNR would have taken the animal and fined him big time. I think it would have been on the DNR’s web site as well.

Unless the rules have changed in the past year you can shoot any mountain lion in Iowa. Here is an article saying there currently is no law against it. It is a year old and says they may try to protect them so maybe they passed a bill since then.lion I dont think they have changed the law yet to protect them because I read in my Iowa Game and Fish that they still can be taken.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

Plus there is no season for hunting mountain lions in Iowa. Had this guy shot a lion the DNR would have taken the animal and fined him big time. I think it would have been on the DNR’s web site as well.

Unless the rules have changed in the past year you can shoot any mountain lion in Iowa. Here is an article saying there currently is no law against it. It is a year old and says they may try to protect them so maybe they passed a bill since then.lion I dont think they have changed the law yet to protect them because I read in my Iowa Game and Fish that they still can be taken.

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

eyehunter you are right it is a hoax. The iowa dnr web says it was shot a few years ago in washington. Iowa DNR

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

eyehunter you are right it is a hoax. The iowa dnr web says it was shot a few years ago in washington. Iowa DNR

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I seen a news broadcast last summer sometime about the spotting of another mountain lion down around the Iowa city, washington area somewhere, i can’t recall exactly. There was a broadcast then a couple of nights later about the same sighting. The was no confirmed sighting by the dnr though, i don’t know if they checked for tracks or if they were clear enough if they did find any, but that doesent mean that these people didn’t see it. Maybe it was a bobcat. Who knows, has anybody from Iowa heard anymore about this sighting. The last i knew two years ago there was a moose running around in southern Iowa that had been there for a couple of years and that isn’t the first moose eigther.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I seen a news broadcast last summer sometime about the spotting of another mountain lion down around the Iowa city, washington area somewhere, i can’t recall exactly. There was a broadcast then a couple of nights later about the same sighting. The was no confirmed sighting by the dnr though, i don’t know if they checked for tracks or if they were clear enough if they did find any, but that doesent mean that these people didn’t see it. Maybe it was a bobcat. Who knows, has anybody from Iowa heard anymore about this sighting. The last i knew two years ago there was a moose running around in southern Iowa that had been there for a couple of years and that isn’t the first moose eigther.

3way
    eastern iowa.

hey guys, i seen my first cougar track north of preston, ia. bordering the maquoketa river. didn’t have any camera with us, but several seen the tracks also. it was a huge paw print, no mistaking what they are. i talked with a dnr person from jackson co., told him what we seen. he said the same spotings have come from north of sabula, springbrook i think and bellevue. may have been the same cat, i’m sure they use the river systems to follow the deer and migrate into whereever they want to go. never again will i be out mushroom hunting without a hefty six shooter. even then, if he’s stalking you, you may never get to use it in time. i’m sure if your hunting dog was along, the hairs on their neck will give you advanced warnings. hey, i guess they have to eat too.

3way
    eastern iowa.

hey guys, i seen my first cougar track north of preston, ia. bordering the maquoketa river. didn’t have any camera with us, but several seen the tracks also. it was a huge paw print, no mistaking what they are. i talked with a dnr person from jackson co., told him what we seen. he said the same spotings have come from north of sabula, springbrook i think and bellevue. may have been the same cat, i’m sure they use the river systems to follow the deer and migrate into whereever they want to go. never again will i be out mushroom hunting without a hefty six shooter. even then, if he’s stalking you, you may never get to use it in time. i’m sure if your hunting dog was along, the hairs on their neck will give you advanced warnings. hey, i guess they have to eat too.

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Steve…….. Thats an old picture that has been floating around for quite some time now…. all hoax and obviously the picture is doctored…. there is no way in the world that guy could pick up a cat that big !

Cougars are legal to shoot in Iowa… they are not protected by law and there is no plans in the near future to change the law to protect them as of now.

bird

birdhunter88
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Steve…….. Thats an old picture that has been floating around for quite some time now…. all hoax and obviously the picture is doctored…. there is no way in the world that guy could pick up a cat that big !

Cougars are legal to shoot in Iowa… they are not protected by law and there is no plans in the near future to change the law to protect them as of now.

bird

mec
    West Salem,WI

The big kittys are in Wi. too.I don’t tell too many people about the sightings,but I met a guy and his wife that bowhunt the same ridge where I’ve seen it,and they and the area farmers have seen it[or them]numerous times.

mec
    West Salem,WI

The big kittys are in Wi. too.I don’t tell too many people about the sightings,but I met a guy and his wife that bowhunt the same ridge where I’ve seen it,and they and the area farmers have seen it[or them]numerous times.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

A good friend got to see one out in CO elk hunting last fall. He said it was pretty scary how the thing sat and stared at him, then disappeared without making a sound, right in front of him.

We didn’t get to see it, but some other hunters close to us got a kitty in WY last fall. I’d heard they were in the area, but unfortunately we didn’t get to see one.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

A good friend got to see one out in CO elk hunting last fall. He said it was pretty scary how the thing sat and stared at him, then disappeared without making a sound, right in front of him.

We didn’t get to see it, but some other hunters close to us got a kitty in WY last fall. I’d heard they were in the area, but unfortunately we didn’t get to see one.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.