Coyote hunting

• j_d
    Warroad, MN

Good Morning all, I have a question for any seasoned coyote hunters, after seeing alot of coyotes behind the house lately, I decided to take a walk yesterday. I ended up finding the coyotes den and their were tracks all over the property. How would I go about hunting these coyotes in this situation. I am new at this sport but realize this is probably my best chance to get one. Any information would be helpful. Thanks. JD

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Start Blasting

Whatever you do, don’t hunt the actual Den. If you’re looking to take the hide in or mount it or whatever….setup away from there because if you shoot one and they are close enough to get back to their den, they’ll go back in and you’ll lose it.

I would recommend shooting them from your porch, or getting a coyote call and try calling on in from a distance….

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Start Blasting

Whatever you do, don’t hunt the actual Den. If you’re looking to take the hide in or mount it or whatever….setup away from there because if you shoot one and they are close enough to get back to their den, they’ll go back in and you’ll lose it.

I would recommend shooting them from your porch, or getting a coyote call and try calling on in from a distance….

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

How big is the property? Personally, I stay away from the actual dens. I would setup a distance away from the den and try calling them in with either a mouth call or an e-caller. With calling in a small area, you are not going to get many chances to call them. What I mean by that is, when you do get a coyote to respond, get him the first time, because they rarely come to the calls as easily if they have been shot at before. Not saying it cannot be done, but it is a lot tougher. If you really want to hunt the den, here is how I would setup. If you can get the wind to blow from the den to you, that would be best. Then sneak into position 100-200 yards away or more if you can. Point the call so that the sound blows in the direction of the den. Early morning or late evenings would probably be best. Right now the coyotes seem to be doing a lot of traveling looking for mates and guarding their territory. They may or may not come to the call. I have not been out in a week or so myself, but seen 3 dead ones on the road yesterday, so they are moving.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

How big is the property? Personally, I stay away from the actual dens. I would setup a distance away from the den and try calling them in with either a mouth call or an e-caller. With calling in a small area, you are not going to get many chances to call them. What I mean by that is, when you do get a coyote to respond, get him the first time, because they rarely come to the calls as easily if they have been shot at before. Not saying it cannot be done, but it is a lot tougher. If you really want to hunt the den, here is how I would setup. If you can get the wind to blow from the den to you, that would be best. Then sneak into position 100-200 yards away or more if you can. Point the call so that the sound blows in the direction of the den. Early morning or late evenings would probably be best. Right now the coyotes seem to be doing a lot of traveling looking for mates and guarding their territory. They may or may not come to the call. I have not been out in a week or so myself, but seen 3 dead ones on the road yesterday, so they are moving.

j_d
    Warroad, MN

The property is good sized, about 160 acres. But the den is hidden in a drainage ditch between two good patches of cedar. Two weeks ago I saw 3 about 30 yards from the den, one was the biggest coyote i have ever seen. i was with my lab and the coyote just stopped and stared for about a minute. I have a predator call but really do not know how to use it so any advice would be very helpful. Thanks JD

j_d
    Warroad, MN

The property is good sized, about 160 acres. But the den is hidden in a drainage ditch between two good patches of cedar. Two weeks ago I saw 3 about 30 yards from the den, one was the biggest coyote i have ever seen. i was with my lab and the coyote just stopped and stared for about a minute. I have a predator call but really do not know how to use it so any advice would be very helpful. Thanks JD

buckmaster

I would get in an open area which will give you more time to spot the yote and some open field shooting. No question about playing the wind, I would set-up with the wind in your favor. Right now since the animals are starting to pair up I would recommend some howling or challenge calls.

Want a cheap e-caller?? The cass creek predator call (can get almost anywhere) is $20 and has 5 different sounds on it. Just a 1 push button and I know alot of people that have killed many coyotes with this call. Has all the sounds a guy needs on it, pup yip, howl, jack rabbit, cottontail and fawn bleat. Great call for the price. Not the loudest call by any means, but it gets the job done.

Good luck!!!

buckmaster

I would get in an open area which will give you more time to spot the yote and some open field shooting. No question about playing the wind, I would set-up with the wind in your favor. Right now since the animals are starting to pair up I would recommend some howling or challenge calls.

Want a cheap e-caller?? The cass creek predator call (can get almost anywhere) is $20 and has 5 different sounds on it. Just a 1 push button and I know alot of people that have killed many coyotes with this call. Has all the sounds a guy needs on it, pup yip, howl, jack rabbit, cottontail and fawn bleat. Great call for the price. Not the loudest call by any means, but it gets the job done.

Good luck!!!

duckilr
    Mississippi River

If you aren’t worried about the hide, you can blast him right off the den with your deer rifle….doa. Going to try to get out this weekend, neighbor farmer saw 4 of them yesterday all together running across the field. A lot harder with no snow, but they’re paired up and they’re curious. I’ll report monday if I do. Good luck.

duckilr
    Mississippi River

If you aren’t worried about the hide, you can blast him right off the den with your deer rifle….doa. Going to try to get out this weekend, neighbor farmer saw 4 of them yesterday all together running across the field. A lot harder with no snow, but they’re paired up and they’re curious. I’ll report monday if I do. Good luck.

HYBES
    SE MN

I would hunt them silently at first from a distance on there travel routes(downwind). Observe what there doing and position yourself for a good shot.Hunt the den secondly(from a distance). If there are multiples,concentrate on them one shot at a time and dont panic thinking that you have to “get them all”.If its open, you have sveral hundred yards to work with.I like to hunt multiples with a mini-14 and 20 shot clip.Good luck!!

HYBES
    SE MN

I would hunt them silently at first from a distance on there travel routes(downwind). Observe what there doing and position yourself for a good shot.Hunt the den secondly(from a distance). If there are multiples,concentrate on them one shot at a time and dont panic thinking that you have to “get them all”.If its open, you have sveral hundred yards to work with.I like to hunt multiples with a mini-14 and 20 shot clip.Good luck!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.