Called in a double

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Oh man, I don’t even know where to start I am so excited. We started out about 9 this morning with high hopes of finding a coyote. The first stand we set up on a hillside overlooking a stream. I got out the e-caller and hit play on a grey fox pup call. The woods were really quiet and the snow had just started to fall. But, all we called in were crows
    The next stand was one I had been wanting to hit for awhile and today things worked in our favor. We again set-up on a hillside, but we were looking over a huge floodplain that was frozen over. The area was full of cattails and flooded timber. I started off throwing out a couple of lonesome female howls on my Knight&Hale howler. After a few minutes with no response I then gave a challenge bark and howl. We waited about 10 minutes, again with no response or seeing any movement. I then decided to get out the Primos cottontail call and play some bunny blues. I no sooner put the call down when 500 yards away here comes a coyote. This dog was charging in and in a hurry. He rounded the swamp grass and was on a run across the pond right to us!!!! By now the heart is really starting to pound. He stopped about 200 yards out and was looking all around and listening. He then started to trot even closer. I told my buddy to wait until he came closer. Just then, here comes another coyote from where the first one came. This one hung up about 200 yards out. The first one then started walking back toward the first one. I quickly got out the Primos squeker and gave a few squeeks. The coyote stopped, turned and trotted to within 100 yards of my buddy. He then started walking and stopping every few yards. I squeeked again and he closed the gap to within 70 yards. I had the scope right on him as he turned broadside. I really wanted to squeeze the trigger, but my buddy has never shot a coyote or had one called in before so I held off. I seen him taking aim, but he wasn’t pulling the trigger Then the coyote sarted charging up the hill right at my buddy. Finally he tok a shot and………..missed Needless to say, both coyotes got the hell out of Dodge. That was more exciting to me than deer hunting. I just wish my buddy would have connected He told me he was shaking so bad he couldn’t hardly keep him in the scope Both coyotes were big and very well furred. I can at least say I counted coup on the coyote. I could have dropped him at anytime. My buddy said when he was broadside he couldn’t get a clean shot, and he whispered to take the shot, but I didn’t hear him It was awesome to finally call in my first midwestern coyote. I have taken many out west and that was my main reason to let my buddy take the shot. I had just as much fun calling as if I would have taken a shot.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great story AMWatson! I felt like it happened to me! Although I’m not sure about better than deer hunting ! Glad to hear your stories as always! Maybe next time you will drop em!

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great story AMWatson! I felt like it happened to me! Although I’m not sure about better than deer hunting ! Glad to hear your stories as always! Maybe next time you will drop em!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Your very good at drawing a picture in my mind. It’s always good to read about something I’ve never done before…but always had an interest in!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Your very good at drawing a picture in my mind. It’s always good to read about something I’ve never done before…but always had an interest in!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I might have stretched it a little when I said it was better than deer hunting , but not much Even hours later, I can still “see” those coyotes coming at full throttle bouncing through the marsh grass. It’s kind of funny because I was about ready to throw in the towel. But it seems that is how things work. I am not sure if it was the number of stands made or more of my determination to get one that made everything work out. I told my buddy just before we headed to the stand location that I knew there were coyotes in here. After many failed stands and me looking like a fool, they sure made me look pretty good then

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I might have stretched it a little when I said it was better than deer hunting , but not much Even hours later, I can still “see” those coyotes coming at full throttle bouncing through the marsh grass. It’s kind of funny because I was about ready to throw in the towel. But it seems that is how things work. I am not sure if it was the number of stands made or more of my determination to get one that made everything work out. I told my buddy just before we headed to the stand location that I knew there were coyotes in here. After many failed stands and me looking like a fool, they sure made me look pretty good then

buckmaster

AmWatson,

Great story…You knew it was just a matter of time before one of the places you hit up had to connect for ya. Great story and your right there is not a better feeling than what you experienced. Good to here someone is out hunting anyways. Better luck next time.

buckmaster

AmWatson,

Great story…You knew it was just a matter of time before one of the places you hit up had to connect for ya. Great story and your right there is not a better feeling than what you experienced. Good to here someone is out hunting anyways. Better luck next time.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Nothing quite like calling in a hungry dog!! I miss doing that. We spent a lot of time driving the river breaks back in SD when I was growing up. Get out, walk a ways, call, move on. You might do this for several days without a dog, but when they came rushing in, it was all worth it.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Nothing quite like calling in a hungry dog!! I miss doing that. We spent a lot of time driving the river breaks back in SD when I was growing up. Get out, walk a ways, call, move on. You might do this for several days without a dog, but when they came rushing in, it was all worth it.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That is the style I am used to. That’s how I did it in Co and WY. You could cover a lot of ground and not have to walk miles just to get into a good calling area

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That is the style I am used to. That’s how I did it in Co and WY. You could cover a lot of ground and not have to walk miles just to get into a good calling area

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.