.204 Ruger

• dirk_w.
    Minnesota

Was wondering if anyone has shot the new .204 Ruger yet and if they had any opinions? Newest, greatest thing since sliced bread or just another hyped up caliber? From what I’ve read the .204 is the fastest non-wilcat caliber made, very accurate, ect. – even faster than the .220 swift (it does shoot only a 32 grain bullet however, at least for now). How do you experienced coyote guys think this gun would do on coyote sized game?

jigs

I have not shot this caliber much, but from the people i know and my little experince it is the real thing. I have not heard of many people shooting coyotes but they were planning on it. I think it would perform very well. I have talked to a few people who used the gun out here in south dakota on prairie dogs and one guy made a 550 yard shot, and all he did was brag about the gun and caliber. I think the caliber is a good choice. Brandon

jigs

I have not shot this caliber much, but from the people i know and my little experince it is the real thing. I have not heard of many people shooting coyotes but they were planning on it. I think it would perform very well. I have talked to a few people who used the gun out here in south dakota on prairie dogs and one guy made a 550 yard shot, and all he did was brag about the gun and caliber. I think the caliber is a good choice. Brandon

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

First off I have no personal experience with the gun, I have read and looked at several when deciding on a new coyote gun. From the feedback I have read, it is a calibre that is here to stay. Currently there are few choices in ammo, but that is quickly changing. The .204 has been tested on coyotes and will definitely bring them down. I was just doing a little more reading on them. There was a test comparing the .204 vs. .223WSM and it was actually pretty amazing. The .204 has more ft/lbs at 500 yards then the .223. It also has more muzzle velocity then the .223 There are countless success stories on them when hunting fox and coyotes. Most are using the 32gr rounds and really putting the coyotes down hard and fast. There are cases of lots of fur damage and others where there is very minimal damage. It all depends on the shot placement

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

First off I have no personal experience with the gun, I have read and looked at several when deciding on a new coyote gun. From the feedback I have read, it is a calibre that is here to stay. Currently there are few choices in ammo, but that is quickly changing. The .204 has been tested on coyotes and will definitely bring them down. I was just doing a little more reading on them. There was a test comparing the .204 vs. .223WSM and it was actually pretty amazing. The .204 has more ft/lbs at 500 yards then the .223. It also has more muzzle velocity then the .223 There are countless success stories on them when hunting fox and coyotes. Most are using the 32gr rounds and really putting the coyotes down hard and fast. There are cases of lots of fur damage and others where there is very minimal damage. It all depends on the shot placement

buckmaster

I have shot the .204 and it is a nice gun. I have also used my .17cal to kill yotes, so I know the .204 will do the job. The only problem that I have heard about them was that the barrels were heating up and expanding do the the muzzle velocity. Any time you get around the 4,000 fps I think you are going to have some type of problem. I guess from what I have gathered now they have redesigned the barrels and there has been no problems reported. The .204 that I shot is still being used by a buddy and he hasn’t had any problems with his at all. Knock on wood!!!!! Hope this helped you out a little..

buckmaster

I have shot the .204 and it is a nice gun. I have also used my .17cal to kill yotes, so I know the .204 will do the job. The only problem that I have heard about them was that the barrels were heating up and expanding do the the muzzle velocity. Any time you get around the 4,000 fps I think you are going to have some type of problem. I guess from what I have gathered now they have redesigned the barrels and there has been no problems reported. The .204 that I shot is still being used by a buddy and he hasn’t had any problems with his at all. Knock on wood!!!!! Hope this helped you out a little..

r3830

I bought one of these in the Ultra lightweight model around 2 months ago. Absolutely spectacular on Australian game. Both accurate and devastating on Kangaroos (these can be quite big) also wild dogs and rabbits. Muzzle blast is a lot short of 22/250. Can’t wait to do some handloading on this calibre – when brass is more available!

r3830

I bought one of these in the Ultra lightweight model around 2 months ago. Absolutely spectacular on Australian game. Both accurate and devastating on Kangaroos (these can be quite big) also wild dogs and rabbits. Muzzle blast is a lot short of 22/250. Can’t wait to do some handloading on this calibre – when brass is more available!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

From what I’ve read one of the advantages of a .204 is they use less powder/produce less heat, thus better barrel life, at least when compared to a .220 swift or a .22 cheetah. I”ll keep this one on the “wish” list.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

From what I’ve read one of the advantages of a .204 is they use less powder/produce less heat, thus better barrel life, at least when compared to a .220 swift or a .22 cheetah. I”ll keep this one on the “wish” list.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

A buddy of mine has one. Pretty sweet! Barrels need to be kept clean to hold accuracy he is finding. Quite a gun though! I looked at them at Gander in Woodbury. I would opt for the Ruger Model 1. The price is steep at almost $800. Yep, this one is on my wish list too! I have a .17 HMR that I am having fun with in the mean time!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

A buddy of mine has one. Pretty sweet! Barrels need to be kept clean to hold accuracy he is finding. Quite a gun though! I looked at them at Gander in Woodbury. I would opt for the Ruger Model 1. The price is steep at almost $800. Yep, this one is on my wish list too! I have a .17 HMR that I am having fun with in the mean time!

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I’ve been reading a lot about this caliber lately. Most of the guys seem to really like them. I’m a lefty which really limits my options on guns. If I take the plunge it will probably be a Savage. Anyone have anything to say about Savage’s Accu-trigger? Here’s some info on the .204 for those interested http://www.204ruger.com/. The .17 Remington also has my interest. Anybody shooting one of these?

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

I’ve been reading a lot about this caliber lately. Most of the guys seem to really like them. I’m a lefty which really limits my options on guns. If I take the plunge it will probably be a Savage. Anyone have anything to say about Savage’s Accu-trigger? Here’s some info on the .204 for those interested http://www.204ruger.com/. The .17 Remington also has my interest. Anybody shooting one of these?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have the Accu-Trigger on my 22-250 I have had no problems with it. It is nice to be able to adjust the trigger pull yourself. It also makes you get a clean squeeze on the trigger. If you don’t have your finger in there correctly, it will not fire I am a big fan of Savage rifles, so I may be a little biased

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have the Accu-Trigger on my 22-250 I have had no problems with it. It is nice to be able to adjust the trigger pull yourself. It also makes you get a clean squeeze on the trigger. If you don’t have your finger in there correctly, it will not fire I am a big fan of Savage rifles, so I may be a little biased

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.