Skunked this morning

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Got a late start this morning due to the school starting 2 hours late Anyway, myself and a friend headed out o some public land to try and rustle up a coyote or fox. It was -5 degrees when we headed to the woods. The wind was blowing in our faces and didn’t take long before you could feel the burning on your cheeks. We started off setting up about 200 yards from the parking area. We set the decoy up on the walking trail then went and set ourselves up about 40 yards away. We were using the Johnny Stewart Predator Master digital caller on this set-up as well as the other sets today. I started off with a juvenile cottontail distress. The digital sounds this call makes are so realistic it makes the hair on your neck stand up The wind was light and blowing in our faces while we were calling. With two of us calling, one watches upwind while the other watches downwind. On the first set we called in some owls but no furbearers The area we are hunting is loaded with fox and coyote tracks, but the critters are unresponsive lately. We tried 2 more sets walking a total of 1 1/2 miles into the marsh before the wind and cold took its toll on our faces. I am confident this place will produce but we need a few more things in our favor. The biggest issue we are having is getting into stand locations quietly. The snow is crusted and very loud right now. We are pretty much giving ourselves away in these conditions. We need a little warm-up or more snow to muffle our approach. Well, that is all until next time, which might be tomorrow or for sure Monday

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.