power anchors

• rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Anybody have any thoughts on power anchors, good or bad? I see MinnKota makes them and also Trac Outdoors makes them sold at Walmart.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I’ve had a Deckhand 40 (I think it is called that), the bigger MinnKota. I like it… I run a 30# river anchor. One sold out of Kaukauna, WI sold at Fleet Farm. Important to get the right style so it can tuck in the bracket. I extend a from plate on mine to hold that style anchor vs the one originally designed for it.

This all said, I use it less now with Spot Lock on the trolling motor. Still a nice item on the boat fishing solo…

Jonesy

I had one on my last boat. Worked fine but it used the same socket as my trolling motor so I found myself hardly using it after I got spotlock

Kyhl
    Savage

What do you guys use for rope on these anchors?

I bought my boat used and it had regular 1/4″ rope similar to a mooring line that gets stuck in the spool. The rope is old too so I never use the thing. Don’t think it’s been mounted on the boat in three years. Is there a certain rope that works better and does it need to be changed often?

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

The rope is a little pricey…. I looked on line for the same strength, and did find it somewhere the last time I replaced it. You can always go with the rope right from Min Kota.
    http://www.fishlectronics.com/minn-kota-deckhand-40-anchor-100-foot-rope-spool-2377901/

I lost a lot of rope once after getting the anchor stuck. Actually let out enough line to tie it off to the back off the boat and still couldn’t pull it out.

I’ve only had mine get stuck on the spool once, and after winding it up without the weight of the anchor. Guessing it got sloppy in all the years. When I use mine enough, I take about three fort off ever season or two as sun and such abuse the end.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.