Portable table saw

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The dewalt is a much better saw. Rigid is for homeowners who don’t know any better. If you want a great cut for finish work use an 8 1/4” 40 tooth blade.

Sorry, but no way is that yellow Black & Decker a better saw than the Rigid. Not even close. I’m guessing you’ve never used one.

I’ve used the Rigid for over 10 years as a serious woodworker. That saw is so solid outside of the initial setup, I’ve never adjusted the blade for square or true. I’ve run thousands of feet of board across the Rigid.

The Dewalt is a lightweight saw for rough carpentry. The shallow front table makes crosscuts almost impossible in wider stock. Fine Woodworking and Wood Magazine have both rated the Ridgid the best portable saw multiple years, the only other winner has been Bosch.

Grouse

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

IMHO –
    You can’t claim to be a serious woodworker and use a portable saw. A serious woodworker uses a cabinet saw.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

How much do you plan on using your saw? What you cutting with it?

$500 is alot for cutting down 2xs for shims. Majority of work does’t need to be within 1/16″.

New toys are fun, whatever you get enjoy! And don’t use stock blades.

I use the saw a ton, always building stuff. I have a delta chop saw for 2x’s, the table saw will be for larger angle cuts, anything over 6″ wide and ripping.

sticker

Sticker looks like you got 12 to 15 guys to borrow a saw from. jester No need to buy one. waytogo

Good call, anyone want to store there saw in my polebarn? whistling

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

HO –
    You can’t claim to be a serious woodworker and use a portable saw. A serious woodworker uses a cabinet saw.

What a laughable statement. There are men and women who do incredible work with only hand tools. They’re not serious, eh? One of the finest living builders of Federal period furniture uses a Craftsman contractor saw and works in a single car garage in Ohio.

Sorry, but it ain’t always about the tools. Any table saw that can make a square, straight cut is good enough for any woodworking, serious or not.

Grouse

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

If you like having to take your tape measure out to set your rip fence buy anything other than a DeWalt. If you like an easy to adjust accurate rip fence then get the DeWalt.

The two rigid table saws I have used I had to measure and adjust the rip fence in 3 spots. After 6 long boards I would have to rearrange the fence again. I agree professional woodworkers use cabinet saws with a riving knife. But if you don’t have the real-estate for one, I find the Bosch 4100-09 tough to beat for a portable saw. I love my Bosch and found it to be the best portable saw I have ever used.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    HO –

What a laughable statement. There are men and women who do incredible work with only hand tools. They’re not serious, eh? One of the finest living builders of Federal period furniture uses a Craftsman contractor saw and works in a single car garage in Ohio.

Sorry, but it ain’t always about the tools. Any table saw that can make a square, straight cut is good enough for any woodworking, serious or not.

Grouse

Grouse,
    Sure, your statement does have some validity. As Great sculptures were scratched out using a hammer and chisel. There is always and exception to the rule.

Does a serious fisherman use a snoopy rod and reel?
    Every year their is a story of someone catching a monster on one.

sticker

Ok, EPG give me your Dewalt and I’ll test it for a year, then Grouse give me your Rigid and I’ll test that for a year. I should be able to make a decision by then woot

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ok, EPG give me your Dewalt and I’ll test it for a year, then Grouse give me your Rigid and I’ll test that for a year. I should be able to make a decision by then woot

I like it!

It’s Kinda turning into a Marcum v Vex thing.LOL

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    If you like having to take your tape measure out to set your rip fence buy anything other than a DeWalt. If you like an easy to adjust accurate rip fence then get the DeWalt.

The two rigid table saws I have used I had to measure and adjust the rip fence in 3 spots. After 6 long boards I would have to rearrange the fence again.

Sounds like the fence clamp needed adjustment. Can’t blame a tool for the owner/operators lack of care. Once I discovered this mine clamps in square every time. If I remember correctly it is a Phillips head screw on the tailing edge of the fence that you can adjust in and out.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

^ or replaced. Job site saws get beat and abused.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I’m also in the market for a saw, so thanks for starting this thread Sticker!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Good call, anyone want to store there saw in my polebarn

Can I bring my boats and gator laugh ?
    My table saw is a bosch circular on a piece of plywood and saw horses. I would not use anything but a Bosch.

sticker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>
    Good call, anyone want to store there saw in my polebarn

Can I bring my boats and gator laugh ?
    My table saw is a bosch circular on a piece of plywood and saw horses. I would not use anything but a Bosch.

Nope, I am good on boats and ATV’s and I have a really nice Dewalt circle saw. waytogo

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ve got a 2 hp table saw with 52″ rip fence arms, does that qualify as a serious cabinet saw or a portable job table saw?

Oh, wait, it doesn’t matter, I have 3 saws bawling small, medium and large. Any one interested in a table saw?? I’m selling!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I see that Mill’s Fleet Farm as $100 off of this DeWalt saw.

Attachments:
    1. MFF.jpg

Dragginbottom

I used a dewalt for past 10 years we cut anything from 3/4 hardwood flooring to laminate. The saw works great for all are cutting needs just my opinion Terry

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Terry, PM sent

fishingchallenged

This thread is hysterical. I’m impressed it’s down to 2 options given how many there are.

Sticker, one other option worth 30 minutes of reading is if a rail saw will serve you better than a portable table saw. I bought one a few years ago to knock down sheets to manageable size so that I could get them into my basement shop where my cabinet saw is. Turns out, there are many more things that I do with it than I thought at the time I purchased.

It really depends on how large of wood you are generally cutting. Small pieces move the wood, large pieces move the saw. You can also buy attachments for the rail saws to put a router on for doing dados. At the time I bought, Festool and Eurekazone were the two options that I found. I bought the Eurekazone due to cost and I’ve been happy with it. There are a few more options now, possibly Dewalt and Grizzly I think. Been a while since I looked.

Good luck with your decision!

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Rail saws work excellent but are pretty much a one application tool.
    Fyi I picked up the DeWalt. I would have loved the Festool but I would have had to rob a bank to afford one of those

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

A rail saw would be nice to have. But I can’t justify the cost when a 50” clamp cut edge guide can be picked up for $15 and I have a skill saw already. But an 8’ rail saw is on my wish list.

munchy
    NULL

Picked up a brand new Makita Track saw with track a couple years ago for $125 at MN Home Outlet. That was a once in a lifetime find! I like it for oddball cuts and crosscutting a sheet of plywood, however a table saw is much better for narrow, consistent, and repetitive cuts.

sticker

I see that Mill’s Fleet Farm as $100 off of this DeWalt saw.

Thanks for the heads up Ralph!!! I might be heading to Fleet tonight yay

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The MIL assigned me a cabin project the other day, so I busted out my garage sale Craftsman last night. Is it perfect, no, but it got the job done, and I still have 9.5 fingers. )

sticker

I just ran to home depot by my work and looked at both the ridgid and dewalt. I definitely like the dewalt better. longer width cut, plus it just seems built better to me.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Congratulations on coming over to the winning side. woot waytogo

Mike Stephens
    WI.

I just ran to home depot by my work and looked at both the ridgid and dewalt. I definitely like the dewalt better. longer width cut, plus it just seems built better to me.

Nuff said. I’m sure you made the right choice. waytogo

deertracker

I have the worm drive Skil table saw. I love it. I don’t have a stand for mine yet though.
    DT

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.