Portable table saw

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Well my 25 year old radial arm saw finally took it’s last breath, so it’s time to replace it. I want to go with a table saw this time instead of the radial arm. Leaning heavily toward the portable ones on a stand. Any recommendations on brands? I have been looking hard at the Dewalt and Rigid models so far. Trying to keep the cost under $500. Appreciate any help.

munchy
    NULL

The Ridgid Portable table saw is pretty dang awesome and it’s on sale for $400 right now. Home Depot also accepts the 20% discount coupon from Harbor Freight so you may be able to get that added on as well. I’ve had mine for about 8 years and it’s been flawless.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-15-Amp-10-in-Heavy-Duty-Portable-Table-Saw-with-Stand-R4513/100090444?bvrrp=1999/reviews/product/3/100090444.htm&cm_mmc=SEM%7CTHD%7Cgoogle%7CD24+Paint&mid=sESWFyjNs%7Cdm_mtid_8903rn225192_pcrid_270123751882_pkw__pmt_b_product__slid_&gclid=CjwKCAjwopTYBRAzEiwAnU4kbzH8KO_k-q5NkkiCAUrhd22_plfXRVcbRjfqUoOegsgr6nwu-eDJsxoCoEUQAvD_BwE&dclid=CIuBzaXum9sCFYSIYgodGtcEFw

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Tuma was that you at Celts a couple weekends ago?

Yes it was. Sorry I didn’t have time to talk but my wife was on a mission to get a burger and she was hungry.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve had the Rigid for over 10 years and love it. Especially handy is the sliding table that lets you cut wider material.

Don’t let anyone tell you these portables “don’t have enough power”. I’ve run dado stacks and cut 2.5 inc solid maple. Yes they use a universal motor so they are louder.

Upgrade the blade right away. Mine likes a Freud narrow kerf combination.

Grouse

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Geez, my garage sale Craftsman has envy.

True story, I once cut my thumb off on a portable Makita, so I wouldn’t go that route. rotflol

sticker

The Ridgid Portable table saw is pretty dang awesome and it’s on sale for $400 right now. Home Depot also accepts the 20% discount coupon from Harbor Freight so you may be able to get that added on as well. I’ve had mine for about 8 years and it’s been flawless.

Sweet, how do I get my hands on a coupon?

404 ERROR
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    Tuma was that you at Celts a couple weekends ago?

Yes it was. Sorry I didn’t have time to talk but my wife was on a mission to get a burger and she was hungry.

Outa my stompin’ grounds you two. Walking distance for this guy!

Onto the saw. I have the Dewalt similar to EPG’s and love it. It’s a little older, so it may not be the same model.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I know the Ryobi portable table saws work great as a table top for the dog food bag. Used twice 10 years ago. Some day I should probably sell it.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

You may be the only man in America that doesn’t have a stack of those coupons in your wallet. The should be there right next to your man card. rotflol rotflol rotflol

Grouse

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

Home Depot also accepts the 20% discount coupon from Harbor Freight

That’s good to know.

weet, how do I get my hands on a coupon?

If you don’t receive the Harbor Freight sale ad just stop into a Harbor Freight and they are by the door.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

You should be able to print it here. I think being its already on sale you won’t get more of a discount.

Attachments:
    1. Harbor-Freight.jpg

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

I think being its already on sale you won’t get more of a discount.

Yeah I was thinking that but it doesn’t hurt to try. You may get a manager that is oblivious.

sticker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

I think being its already on sale you won’t get more of a discount.

Yeah I was thinking that but it doesn’t hurt to try. You may get a manager that is oblivious.

Thought the same thing, but all they can say is no!

Thanks for the link and coupon.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I just left Home Depot and they said they will match a coupon for an identical item but they will not match a generic percent off coupon darn

munchy
    NULL

I just left Home Depot and they said they will match a coupon for an identical item but they will not match a generic percent off coupon darn

It all depends on the store and manager. I’ve used the HF coupon at HD a few times and most notably for my Rigid table saw. Biggest bargaining chip is standing there with a $500 item and being able to walk out if they don’t accept it. Everything I’ve seen regarding this is the competitor must sell a similar item, but not exact match. So you can’t go to HD with an HF coupon and purchase a bathtub for instance.

MnPat1

The dewalt is a much better saw. Rigid is for homeowners who don’t know any better. If you want a great cut for finish work use an 8 1/4” 40 tooth blade.

munchy
    NULL

The dewalt is a much better saw. Rigid is for homeowners who don’t know any better.

I’ve used both and will go with the Ridgid any day. Bigger table, better stand, 25” rip capacity on the Ridgid vs 20” on the Dewalt,

Mike Stephens
    WI.

For a smaller portable saw with a descent fench Dewalt. Nuff said.

MnPat1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MnPat1 wrote:</div>
    The dewalt is a much better saw. Rigid is for homeowners who don’t know any better.

I’ve used both and will go with the Ridgid any day. Bigger table, better stand, 25” rip capacity on the Ridgid vs 20” on the Dewalt,

Dewalt has multiple pins allowing you to move the fence and has a rip capacity of 32.5”. The smaller dewalt jobsite saw has a rip capacity of 24”. Again multiple pins to adjust. You can get 25” just move the pins.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I’ve used my neighbors Rigid in the past and worked great. I bought a Dewalt because my son worked for a company that had a marketing agreement with dewalt. Got the saw for $379. I think it is just a little nicer than the Rigid I used.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Sticker looks like you got 12 to 15 guys to borrow a saw from. jester No need to buy one. waytogo

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If you like having to take your tape measure out to set your rip fence buy anything other than a DeWalt. If you like an easy to adjust accurate rip fence then get the DeWalt.
    I also find that the DeWalt thin kerf blade that comes with the saw Works excellent.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

How much do you plan on using your saw? What you cutting with it?

$500 is alot for cutting down 2xs for shims. Majority of work does’t need to be within 1/16″.

New toys are fun, whatever you get enjoy! And don’t use stock blades.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I use the heavy stock blades. They typically outperform the regular ones. wink

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.