Portable propane grill.

• robby
    Quad Cities

Hello all, looking for recommendations on portable propane grills. Something big enough to cook several burgers, etc. Something that stays half way clean on the outside. Looking to use for picnics, fishing trips, ice fishing, etc.. There is a myriad of options available, ranging in price from $100 to $800. I am willing to spend a few bucks, but not 800 of them. Your insights are appreciated. Thanks, and happy Easter in advance.

folks22

Weber Q2200 has been a great portable grill for me. Built pretty darn well.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Love my Brinkmann! Had it for years. Great in the boat, on road trips. Runs on 1lb tanks and packs up for travel in the boat or truck. Good all around grill for smaller meal plans, brats, burgers, pheasant and steaks.

Attachments:
    1. 20210313_150429-scaled.jpg

B-man

I’ve had a Cabela’s branded stainless steel tailgate grill for years. It’s been to hell and back but keeps on cooking waytogo

Not the fanciest or most expensive thing in the world, but it’s all metal and nothing really to break on it. I detach the regulator when transporting it (unthreads by hand) and toss it inside the grill in a ball of tinfoil.

I made the orifice a little bit bigger for more heat (which can be done on any grill if you want it hotter)

I also have a Coleman Road trip 825 grill that I leave in the Ice Castle, it’s a good too, but bulkier and heavier because of the legs. It’s also more of a griddle style instead of a true grill.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220413-2116342.png

2. Screenshot_20220413-202340.png

gregory
    Red wing,mn

x2 i use mine all the time! cant say enough good about it!

hdog3385

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>folks22 wrote:</div>

x2 i use mine all the time! cant say enough good about it!

X3 I have the older model, I think it’s the called the 210 or something like that. Had it for like 12 years and it still looks and works great.

Deuces

I’m w bman, same grill same results, bulletproof.

Might be tough to grill several burgers at once EVENLY, but it does the job. Throw mine in the boat and compacts nicely imo.

Blue is to hide couple butts like my lil sis too small swimsuit and my middle kid taking a header to the mat lol

Attachments:
    1. VID_20200718_181148741_exported_17322.jpg

dbright
    Cambridge

I bought a weber last summer and wish I would of years ago. It is much nicer to cook on and much better quality then my previous cheap grills.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have the same one b Man and beads have. It’s been great to me for a few years now. I also have a cheap one from Walmart, I don’t remember what brand but it also does well unless it’s windy.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Add another Cabela’s grill over here. My temp gage is off and it doesn’t cook evenly. It will get the job done and doesn’t do bad on meat.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I have a small cabelas grill as well and I bring it on pretty much every hunting and fishing trip I go on. Been handy over the years and still runs. Not the most even heat, but it gets the job done.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Another Cabelas one too. Bought off Bman’s rec last time this came up a couple years ago? Anyway it is pretty good. Not sure why you would want more heat though, mine I can’t get to run low enough. For the money I would buy one again.

Nodakk

X4 on the Weber Q2200. Use this ice fishing and can cook 6-7 burgers at once while maintaining 400* on the grill in cold temps.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I also have the Cabela’s grill. Only issue I have is the wind can occasionally blow out the flame.

-J.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I’ve been extremely happy with this one.

tornadochaser

I’ve been extremely happy with this one.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Coleman Gas Grill | Portable Propane Grill | RoadTrip 285 Standup Grill, Black” type=”text/html” allowfullscreen=”” style=”max-width:100%” src=”https://read.amazon.com/kp/card?preview=inline&linkCode=kpd&ref_=k4w_oembed_BWcZtXmNover8B&asin=B07BLH19MX&tag=kpembed-20&#8243; width=”850″ height=”550″ frameborder=”0″></iframe></div>

I have one of those as well and used it a ton. Work trips, fishing/hunting trips, parks, etc. It even survived mostly intact after a 50 foot flight down the street thanks to 90+ mph tornadic inflow winds, although it’s missing the wheels now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Love my Brinkmann! Had it for years. Great in the boat, on road trips. Runs on 1lb tanks and packs up for travel in the boat or truck. Good all around grill for smaller meal plans, brats, burgers, pheasant and steaks.

I second Bob’s Brinkman.

And Robby, if they are very large, will fit two bald eagles on them. shock

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

In a sharp contrast to IDO standards…I always buy a cheap portable one and don’t look back. Because I abuse them, I couldn’t stomach spending a few hundred bucks or more on one.

I don’t know where the one I have now came from. It gets used on sandbars (not a fan of grilling on the tritoon with kids and people around), on tailgates, job sites, in parking lots, and so on. I don’t think I paid more than $40 for it. If it’s windy I wouldn’t use it to sear steaks or anything but for brats and burgers it does the trick. I literally toss it in a tote with a lighter, a couple 1# propane tanks, and the old utensils from the home grill. All items included I’m probably $60 in with an easy way to carry it. It even survived a fall from a tailgate last Fall. I would say I can stretch 7 or 8 years out of one before the abuse becomes too much.

stout93
    Becker MN

I also have the Cabelas grill.

After probably 10 years or so, the heat shields pretty much disintegrated.

Can’t find any replacements anywhere. Going to try and modify a piece of stainless.

Dan Baker

X4 on the Weber Q2200. Use this ice fishing and can cook 6-7 burgers at once while maintaining 400* on the grill in cold temps.

x5 These grills are really quite nice.

3Rivers

The Weber Q1000/Q1200 is much more portable than the 2000 series and has plenty or room for food. I had a 2000 for about 10 years and it was great, but if you want something a bit smaller for the boat, I 100% recommend the 1200. The powder coating and cast iron grates are awesome. It’s goes from my deck to the boat and back and takes a beating and still looks like new.

robby
    Quad Cities

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bob Bowman wrote:</div>

I second Bob’s Brinkman.

And Robby, if they are very large, will fit two bald eagles on them. shock

Well, 1 eagle is all I ask. I gotta have room for the Spotted Owl and Otter.

robby
    Quad Cities

You all are great. Thank you!!!

B-man

Another Cabelas one too. Bought off Bman’s rec last time this came up a couple years ago? Anyway it is pretty good. Not sure why you would want more heat though, mine I can’t get to run low enough. For the money I would buy one again.

I made the orifice bigger mainly to help with cooking in freezing temps. The pressure in those one-pounders drops in the cold, so it made a big difference when needed.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They must all be a little different I guess. Mine I would not want any hotter. I also use mine ice fishing mostly so in freezing temps. Don’t get me wrong I like it just fine. toast

robby
    Quad Cities

I went with the Weber Traveler Propane Grill. Thanks for all your help. I wanted a stand under the grill, and the wheels on it should be convenient.

stevenoak

Think that’s a good choice. I have the Baby Q and love the cast iron grates especially. It gets hauled over 6000 miles a year, all in the truck. We spend over 3 months a year in cabins and VRBOs. Most with hinky grilles. It’s leaning to a mid-size grille and would be unhandy in a boat. Also, after a lot of use, it needs a cleaning before packing it with other stuff. If you intend to haul it in your boat or a smaller vehicle. The suitcase style makes more sense.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.