Portable Battery Jumper packs

• Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I’m long overdue for picking up one of these myself. NOCO is at the top of my list. What size would be recommended for all around use? I.E. jumpstarting vehicles or boat on rare occasions, power source in the portable for lights and phone charging, backup power in case flasher battery goes dead, light source, etc.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I went with the GBX45. It has 1250A. It says it’s good for up to a 7L gas engine. I figured that was big enough for my needs. Amazon has soon great deals on them yesterday. Not sure if the sale is still on.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I’m long overdue for picking up one of these myself. NOCO is at the top of my list. What size would be recommended for all around use? I.E. jumpstarting vehicles or boat on rare occasions, power source in the portable for lights and phone charging, backup power in case flasher battery goes dead, light source, etc.

I would recommend the GBX45… for your case. I am in the industry and we literally will need to jump 40-80 vehicles at times. Big snow storm and cold weather and vehicles not started for months = a few no cranks. I use the GB150, which will start most anything.

Also for those asking, the NOCOS have a USB charger and you can literally plug them in one of your USB ports that are powered when the key is on, so every time your driving or vehicle is running, its keeping it fully charged. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. GBX45.pdf
    CaptainMusky

Some of the models seem to have changed. I have the GB70 but I dont even see that listed anymore. I dont see a 45, but I see a 50. Anything over the 45 should be good for general use.

orve4

I’d personally go with an Audew first if you push it towards the higher end of capacity. My Audew has handled house boats in the local marina, tractors, a compressor truck, a boom truck at work, without hiccup.

I got one about a year ago on a black Friday and have been totally impressed. Started my boat many of times, jumped a few side by sides and is nice to bring along in my hunting back pack to power random things like cell phones or other things. I like the charging options. I have no complaints.

Sylvanboat

GB50 and above also serve as power source. So it will run your ice electronics and charge your phone. I have the GB70. It is a little bulky but does the job.

Umy
    South Metro

Ugh, I resisted the temptation to digress further into this thread, but I happen to love my GB40. Not everyone needs to jump start a fleet of jumbo jets…

DITTO – have the same one – my wife’s Mazda, my F150 , my neighbors cars and my boat.
    Works great for my needs.
    Never leave home in the truck without it or without it on the lake.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen. I looked at the Audew, but they’re kinda vague about what the capacity is for powering 12v accessories. Noco GB 50 is 35 watt hours or 2.9 ah.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have a few questions for all the NOCO owners here. Yesterday I got my first chance to try and use the NOCO I purchased after reading this post. A guy in the post office parking lot was asking if anyone could help jump his car. I thought this was not only a chance to help someone out, but to see how the NOCO jumper does. Hooked it up to his Battery ( In the rear of his Caddy ) but it failed to start the car. Felt a little bummed with the performance of the new NOCO jumper. his car did not have a real large engine and the unit I purchased was rated for up to a 6.0 L gas engine. But after trying to Jump start it the old fashion way with jumper cables and also failing, I believe there may have been other issues at play. My question is how long should it take to fully charge the unit after several attempts to jump start a car. I brought it inside last night and plugged it in to fully charge, It seemed to take a long time to come back to full charge. It was fully charged a week or so ago when I put it in my truck. How much effect do you think the cold weather has on the charge when stored in my auto ( outside full time ) ?

CaptainMusky

They do seem to charge pretty slowly when using a wall outlet. Believe it or not it seems to charge faster IN my truck plugged into the cigarette lighter port.
    There must have been something else going on if it didnt jump it or the jumper cables didnt work. Regarding how long it will stay charged, not sure. I dont always leave it in my truck and I dont use it often but every time I power it on its full charge so it holds charge a long time when indoors. Outside I imagine would impact it, but how much I am not too sure.

Reef W

Noco says they can hold 70% charge for one year. They also say never store it below -4 roll

Mine still started my boat fine (only a 60hp so not hard) after being in my truck for a couple MN winters so I don’t know about the temp thing.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Thumper, something else must have been going on. There is a way to manually boost it, which may have done the trick. Check the manual–I can’t recall exactly which button to hold down.

I have a GB50 in our Sequoia and a GB20 in our Mazda 6. I leave them in year round and bring them in to charge when the weather turns cold (and after use). They do take a while to charge.

Got a call from the wife last week that the Sequoia was dead and she had to go to an appointment. I walked her through jumping it with the GB50, and she got it going in no time. Now, to teach the kids to get the doors closed all the way. rotflol

Iowaboy1

Fishthumper, sometimes when a battery is shorted internally you cant jump it at all. ( that said, a bad starter wont work either )
    The Noco even in manual override wont boost a shorted dead battery.

Iowaboy1

Will also comment on charging them, I bought a high capacity charger for my GBX155, its rated at 3 amps.
    My old GB70 would take forever on a cellphone charger.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:</div>
    Is there anything that couldn’t turn over?

That thing can rotate the Earth!

Well maybe not but up to 10L engines at least!! Go big or go home Sheldon toast

mnmarlin

I have a cheap jump pack, didn’t expect much for the price but it will start my old Suburban that has a dead battery (for like the last 3 years!). I’m astonished. I bring the power pak on trips and use it to charge cell phones and other devices, works great for that. If I’d do it again I would go with a NOCO though, Ivan from Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics has abused his many times!

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

NOCO isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, they just have the best marketing and distribution.

I’d personally go with an Audew first if you push it towards the higher end of capacity. My Audew has handled house boats in the local marina, tractors, a compressor truck, a boom truck at work, without hiccup.

<div class=”ido-oembed-wrap”><iframe loading=”lazy” title=”Which Car Jump Starter Is Best? Let’s find out! NOCO GB40 vs Duracell vs Audew” width=”850″ height=”478″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/JN8A2nIMUWA?feature=oembed&#8221; frameborder=”0″ allow=”accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture” allowfullscreen=””></iframe></div>

Audew is the one i have jump started a 1010 bulldozer it’s been a great unit so far , plenty of power .

Iowaboy1

Once again, I cant quote anyone, so, heres a reply about my Noco mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Ya, every year, same old thing, half of the boats brought in for winterizations would have dead batteries, radios left on, marine radios, etc. and after six years and hundreds of jumps my old Noco gave up the ghost.
    I also work on a lot of semis and ag stuff and I decided to buy something more than big enough to handle the task, 4500 amps !!! YOWZA!!

Well, sure enough, a boat came in with a dead battery, 40 horse Merc four stroke and I hooked up the monster, the starter hit the flywheel so hard it broke the crankshaft and the flywheel took off out of the door over the top of the shop and I aint seen it since.
    I thought, well, too much for little motors, the next motor had a Evinrude Venom 225, sure enough, dead battery.
    I hooked it up and using my remote starter hit the key, sure glad I did that!!
    The dang boat spun around the starter!!! trailer and all !! if I had been standing there the trailer would have taken my legs out!!

Ya, I know, a bunch of bs, but I am impressed with it !! I might hook up a stick of 7013 to it to see if I can weld with it for a few seconds, stay tuned!!

Edit to add, 4250 amps,not 4500, but whats 250 amps!? lol, my fault for the wrong info!

Coletrain27

Here’s a new video from project farm

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Boy, some of those look pretty chintzy.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

None of them started the 454 after sitting in the freezer. Something to note for sure.

CaptainMusky

You wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world? Listen to that video. No idea why he selected that NOCO since its so much more expensive than the others doesnt feel like a fair test. The one that wouldnt start anything with a dead battery is definitely a no go.

Umy
    South Metro

I have the GB 40
    Bought one for each of my boys for Christmas. $90 bucks each
    THey have an override button. the directions show you how to use it – easy peasy
    Starts my boat, my cares and my truck and sits outside now in the truck.
    Take it in every few weeks for a charge but that’s it.
    I am a creature of habit for the most part and will pay a little more for something I know I like or that I have experience with and works.
    Something else going on with that caddy.
    I love mine

CaptainMusky

I am a creature of habit for the most part and will pay a little more for something I know I like or that I have experience with and works.
    Something else going on with that caddy.
    I love mine

I too will pay more money for something of high quality and I know works, but the NOCO he chose was double the price of the second highest one he used. Seems odd that he would do that. Anyway, I love my NOCO.

JEREMY
    BP

I have a small one. (Ha Ha ya i know) I think its just like a GB40 about the size of 3 cell phones sitting on each i got for the 4 wheeler and mower and such.
    A few years ago the neighbor borrowed my truck in January and left the key on when she parked it. 5 days later when i wanted to move it. Sone cold dead. Minus 10 degrees outside figured no way in heck that tiny thing would start it but it did.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have the GB 40

I got that one a couple weeks ago. Its technically part of my xmas gift so I haven’t used it yet.

Funny thing is, after I received it (brand new in box for $75), a few days later I was refunded the full amount I paid for it. I contacted the seller why this occurred, and they said it was a transaction error. They said to keep the NOCO and they would not be charging me for it either.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

You wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world? Listen to that video. No idea why he selected that NOCO since its so much more expensive than the others doesnt feel like a fair test. The one that wouldnt start anything with a dead battery is definitely a no go.

Weird, a NOCO that is bigger, heavier, and costs x3 as much as some of the others performs better.

What’s next, a review of how a Corvette beats a Cavalier in a race?

NOCOs are nice, but when comparing apples to apples they are a bit overpriced for what you get compared to some other alternatives.

CaptainMusky

Weird, a NOCO that is bigger, heavier, and costs x3 as much as some of the others performs better.

Which is exactly why I said it was dumb for him to compare that one. Should have used a smaller one or at least one more in line price wise. Doesnt make any sense. Most of those units he tested looked dang cheap and had much poorer cables than NOCO uses even on their cheap models.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.