Pork Fat

• jake47
    WI

Anyone use straight pork fat in their venison sausage/sticks/bologna? I have 15 lbs of fat (not rendered) in the freezer from last years hog. Also expecting 20+ lbs from this years hog that will be butchered in December. Looking for a practical use for it all beyond rendering into lard or making into suet.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Yes but make sure you grind your fat down to at least 3/16 plate and change your ratio since it’s straight fat. Just make sure to get that fat distributed equally in the venison.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Straight fat doesn’t add much moisture to the sausage to help the otherwise drier venison out where pork with a fat/lean ratio around 50/50 or 40 % fat/60% lean will. The pork meat itself has a higher moisture level than venison and the fat on it will help add a little. I’ve used straight pork fat with venison and even with added water when grinding and mixing before stuffing the finished product is noticeably greasier. Using the 60/40 pork helps make the sausage weight total up more and will stretch the yield. Also, if the finished product is not vacuum sealed for the freezer the pork fat can go sour after as little as 6 months even wrapped in plastic film and freezer wrap.

catmando
    wis

I would not use it! Nope to old, woodpecker feed.

ThunderLund78

I personally like to use a fatty shoulder or picnic trim. Holds up better in the grind.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have had better results using pork 50/50 meat. It is painless to render. Put it in a crock pot with some water on low and filter it with some cheese cloth.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.