Poop and Hair

• FryDog62

Finishing up the SoDak trip with some smallies – Deps Poop Bait and Hair Jigs in 3-5 feet of water on/near rocks were key waytogo

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2023_09_17-12_53_48_5830_3C9F5569-scaled.jpeg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

There is so much fun to be had with these poop baits.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

How are you guys rigging those?

FryDog62

How are you guys rigging those?

Probably the most popular poop bait is the 3.5 Deps Cover Scat. For that I’ve used 2 different hooks and both seem to work well. Some people use a 4/0 and some 5/0.

First option is the Ryugi Infini Offset – where if you use the 5/0 the hook point aligns perfectly with a little blister that you can skin hook to easily keep more weedless. JDM products are more expensive, but tend to think of the little details like this.

The other hook is the VMC Ringed Wide Gap. The ring allows the scat to really snap back and forth when twitched like a fleeing crayfish. The only downside could be if in thicker weed cover the ring could grab grass and foul up a little easier.

I’ve only been pooping for bass about 2 months now, but I have yet to miss a fish with either hook. The fish really snarf this bait, yet with the bigger hook and thick plastic I’ve never been close to gut-hooking one either.

The only other hook I would like to try would have a CPS (centering pin spring) like Owner makes. It would probably be more durable since most of the tears in this bait happen in the skinny end and a CPS would help keep your poop in a group if you know what I mean!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1599-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_1460-scaled.jpeg

3. IMG_1597-scaled.jpeg

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks for showing how you rig those. Might have to give them a try on the river.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Thanks FD i got some but have not tried them yet.I have some of the 2.5 & 3.5’s.I tried a 1\0 wide gap on the smaller one and that seems about right for it.I picked up some screw locks but the eyelet on the hook is to damn small for it and the line.

FryDog62

Thanks FD i got some but have not tried them yet.I have some of the 2.5 & 3.5’s.I tried a 1\0 wide gap on the smaller one and that seems about right for it.I picked up some screw locks but the eyelet on the hook is to damn small for it and the line.

Awesome, let us know how you do!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Those are some deep bellied fish

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

They match the fisherman lol

They would need to MUCH MUCH deeper bellied if I was holding them then.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That Deps Poop Bait is sure a odd looking bait. Sometimes it amaze’s me some of the things a fish will bite on.

FryDog62

That Deps Poop Bait is sure a odd looking bait. Sometimes it amaze’s me some of the things a fish will bite on.

It’s kind of along the lines of the wacky worm and the Ned when they first came out – I saw them and thought NO WAY they work. Obviously I was wrong. Then, as a joke when I was fishing with a friend a couple months ago I threw out the Deps out and first cast caught a 20 incher. All of a sudden you understand and before you know it your storage compartment is full of all kinds of sh!t yay

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I just checked out the Bad Gas Removal post in today’s topic and then seen this. I was surprised to see that neither had anything to do with what i thought they would. Huh.

FryDog62

… Or poop on his hook and he goes fishing rotflol

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1631.jpeg

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Heading up in 2 weeks. Can’t wait

FryDog62

I shared this video with another member recently and since then two others have asked me how to “work” the Poop bait. No real right or wrong way kind of like a tube, but attached below is a video that shows.

Okay, so there aren’t many videos out on these new baits – and this one is in all JAPANESE. So the video has sub-titles but don’t think that Godzilla is going to come over the hill at any minute and eat the guy or something.. lol

The key is to watch how he casts the lure out far and really lets it sink for 10-15 seconds. You may get bit on the way down so watch your line for a twitch. If not, let the lure and the line get down to the bottom. Then give it a double jerk/twitch to the side about every 7-10 seconds. Let it sink back down and repeat.

For those of you that are ADHD like me and don’t want to watch the entire video – watch the 12-15 minute mark for how he works the bait. At 18:40 he sets the hook on a good one. Also, if you tune in at the 4 minute mark, you can see what a fleeing turd really looks like shock

Have fun when you try it out – and post your results ~

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.