Pool 4 White Bass Tips?

• EW6

My dad’s visiting for a bit of fishing and wants to catch a white bass. Anyone have any tips for catching them this time of year on Pool 4? I’ve only ever had luck in the spring up near Red Wing. Thanks for any help you can give, all will be CPR’d.

.mnmike
    red wing, mn

This time of year on pool 4 I would look to lake pepin for white bass. Drive around until you see seagulls actively feeding and there will usually be a school of white bass feeding on minnows in that area. Cast little cleos or spinners in that area and you should catch them.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

burn a silver shad sized lipless crank through them as fast as you can reel…you’ll catch em untill the school moves…then chase em!

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

The earlier in the morning the better. Wings damns and and the front and tail ends of the islands between the damn in pool 4 down to Pepin. As stated look for gulls, but don’t be surprised if the gulls are not there. White bass can start feeding anywhere at any time. Also if you see lots of shad breaking the surface expect whities to be below. As for baits, I use a silver and black Flicker shads, but anything resembling a shad works as does spinners and if you really want some fun tie on a top water. You may miss a lot, but it is a hoot.

EW6

Thanks for the tips guys! We’ll try ’em out and see if he can get into some. Perhaps convince him to get down here next year for the spring bite. I’ll report how it goes next week.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.