Stranded on Pool 2

• Cal
    Savage, MN USA!!!

I broke down yesterday in the Pigs Eye channel (a voltage regulator frying itself gives off a bad, bad odor). After about an hour of attempting to get down to the 494 ramp with the trolling motor (the wind is, of course, now blowing from the south), I flag down the only non-tug type boat I’ve seen, a commercial fisherman in a jon boat. We tie up and he tows me all the way down to Lions Levee where I had launched. I offered him money for gas but he would not take it. What started as a really bad day turned into a pretty good day, thanks to a good samaritan. If you see a really long jon boat on Pool 2 (the thing had to be 24′) with a 125 Merc tiller and a young guy running it, give him a friendly wave. Salt of the earth.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Could have been a long night!

Here’s to the good guys!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Before I remembered to bring the kicker motor manual start rope and tool, I went dead on pool 4 and some nice person towed us back to Evert’s, he wouldn’t take anything either, but did say to help someone else if we could.

Have to say it was my pleasure to help someone later that year.

Good to see there’s still decent people around.

Al

Mike Stephens
    WI.

It’s still nice to know; when the rest of the world seems to be going to hell in a hand basket, people on the river are happy to give. Rollin-rollin-rolin on the river Sing it with me Proud Mary

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’ve seen that guy around. Pretty sure he is on the dredging crew working in several areas down there. Glad to hear you got back ok.

I’ll toss this out for all of you Pool 2 IDO guys. If you ever find yourself in a pickle down there, try calling me on my cell. 651-343-9318

I live 10 minutes from the ramp and am also on the water a lot.

-J.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

I’ve seen that guy around. Pretty sure he is on the dredging crew working in several areas down there. Glad to hear you got back ok.

I’ll toss this out for all of you Pool 2 IDO guys. If you ever find yourself in a pickle down there, try calling me on my cell. 651-343-9318

-J.

Wow! The generosity of the members of IDO never cease to amaze me. Thanks Jon! I might have to start fishing pool 2.

FDR

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

Wow! The generosity of the members of IDO never cease to amaze me. Thanks Jon! I might have to start fishing pool 2.

FDR

That is why I never bother to check and see if I have gas, I know Jon can always pick me up downriver.

stuart
    Mn.

Back in 98 I had motor trouble on pool 4 and two of the very well known guides from here(before they had a name for themselves) were asked if the could lend a hand.”just give us a minute” was the reply,after my young daughter and I had floated by they powered up and went the other way.
    I cant wait for them to have a break down some time so I can remind them of that day as I tell them to eff off.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It is always a good feeling to help or when needed, be helped. Kudous to the dude that helped you out

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Sorry Stuart. You looked dangerous at that time. Now I would never let you drift by.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ps I received my towing endorsement from the CG the other day. Yes, they regulate for hire towing too.

But..I find it really hard to charge a fishing type boat for a tow. Now pleasure craft are another story. $$$

On another note, a few years back when I was launching out of Prescott, I would actually tell my clients ahead of time if we came across a disabled boat we would stop, check for their safety and radio for help. We would not tow them unless a there was a safety concern.

For a while it seemed like every trip was cut into because of a disabled boat. Had it been my wife or me along, not a big deal.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Back in 98 I had motor trouble on pool 4 and two of the very well known guides from here(before they had a name for themselves) were asked if the could lend a hand.”just give us a minute” was the reply,after my young daughter and I had floated by they powered up and went the other way.
    I cant wait for them to have a break down some time so I can remind them of that day as I tell them to eff off.

that would totally pi$$ me off too Stuart

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

My friend Troy and I got towed in last week by of all people a bass fisherman! He was even in a tournament. The bass crowd isnt that bad after all. Offered him money and he would not accept it. He just said he hopes we would do the same for him. Thanks Mr. Basser.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

My friend Troy and I got towed in last week by of all people a bass fisherman!

Total humiliation.

buschman
    Pool 2

That is very good to hear!! I have been towed once myself down on P2 and been asked twice already this year if I needed help. The 1st time was in early march. I had the boat at shore looking for shed horns and had a trapper pull up to make sure everything was ok. Pretty nice of him. I have towed quite a few into the levee and always ask that they just do the same for someone else…… Good to hear that “most” people are on the same page. Though I can understand a guides perspective if safty is not an issue.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

-J.

Wish I would of seen this earlier tonight Jon. Came across a boat in the channel at spring lake waving to us. Dam that was a long tow.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

I once towed the same guy twice within 2 hours on pool 2.
    Both times up stream…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

That is bad. Here is a photo from yesterday. Im not so pissed that we are towing this guy its that we had no beer with to enjoy this long tow.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Forgot to mention we are getting Twins tickets for this tow.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Towing endorsements have their benis.

sippiriverrat
    Andover MN.

I’ve had to tow in two boats in the last few years, they have offered money but I just tell them that they should return the favor the next time they see someone stranded, If you do that we all benefit. P.S. I had Mike W. tow me in on pool2 a few years back when my big motor wouldn’t trim down, Thanks Mike

Cal
    Savage, MN USA!!!

Wow! Is there something about Pool 2 that causes lots of breakdowns?? Might have to start looking for another place to fish this time of year!

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

3 years ago (in the spring with high fast water) I had just gotten a new (used) boat and didn’t make sure I knew what my range was for gas. It’s a 50 merc and I thought they were good on gas. This one isn’t and I misjudged how far I went. I ran to Grey Cloud from the Lyons Park and tried to get back on a half tank of gas. Well…after fishing till about 5 I figured it was time to head back. Just for the heck of it I checked my gas tank. EEEK!! I had about a gallon left! It’s 12 miles from GC to the park. I knew I wasn’t going to make it running full blast. So I ran at about 6mph upstream and made it just past Baldwin Lake when I ran out of gas. I put the trolling motor down and had to put it on high to make it upstream. That’s when I wished there would have been a south wind! I still had about 5 miles left to go. I made it to the aggregate plant when my trolling motor ran out of juice, too. I had made a couple calls to some IDOers and they were scrambling to come find me if I needed it. It was getting dark now and I wasn’t sure what I would do?? LUCKILY!!…there was a guy filling a barge at the plant with sand and I told him I was out of gas. He told me to give him my gas can. He then filled the can with gas!! I asked him how much and he said not to worry a bout it. It’s the gas they fill their trucks with anyway. I was so relieved you have no idea. Who/how would anyone find me? And down stream at that? It was going to be in the 30s that night. I went back the next week and left a case of beer next to the shack. Hopefully they didn’t get in trouble for it. I was so grateful! I will always help others in need and never take money for it. Especially on the river!

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

I know the feeling of how is anyone going to find me. I pulled down the launch at Callashans last year to see if the spearing shacks were up stream. It was pure ice and slid down onto the frozen vermillion with my full size truck. I think at times some guys do drive back there but no way is my rig driving on the vermillion. Stuck bad I had no idea how to tell some one directions how to get there. Luckly my neighbor knew how to get there but wow was I sweating it for a few hours. Ive ran out of gas on the vermillion in hastings also down stream from the launch and had to float….and pull the boat down to the next launch. The IDO help line could be a lifesaver in some of the backwater sections of the river a lot of guys you could just tell them what the tree looks like that your near and they will be able to find you. Makes me feel a little better about breaking down.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Cal,
    You just may have to make an annual trip to MO or TX every year during March and April and just stay off the river.
    Hope all is well.
    Jack

Cal
    Savage, MN USA!!!

Quote:

hi Cal,
    You just may have to make an annual trip to MO or TX every year during March and April and just stay off the river.
    Hope all is well.
    Jack

You are correct, sir! Alabama too! I only wish it could be March AND April…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.