Pool #4 BrownTrout

• weldon
    Rochester, Mn

I inquired about the regulations for catching a brown trout in the Mississippi using pool #4 and the north branch of the Root river as examples of places that the regulations do not list as being trout streams, but are known to have trout move into these areas due to the number of streams dumping into each. Below was the reply… (Which I kind of suspected would be the case).

———-

Weldon,

Thanks for your questions. It is not real unusual to hear of trout being caught out of Pool 4 during cold weather months. Trout likely drop down out of tributaries like Hay Creek when water temps are suitable and move back during warm water conditions. As you mention, the Root River is also a good example. While the mid-summer temperatures are too warm for trout, there are numerous coldwater tributaries that enter the Root. Trout are well adapted to seeking out the cold water and will move back when temperatures are too warm. We sample the Zumbro River for smallmouth bass every spring (April or May) and see many brown trout.

Regarding regulations for trout on Pool 4 (or anywhere on the Mississippi River where it borders Wisconsin), trout may not be kept during the closed season that is listed for inland trout streams (page 20 of the 2009 regulations). On a state border water, the rules state that if a species is not specifically listed, then it defaults to the statewide regulation for that species. Since trout are not listed for the MN/WI portion of the Mississippi River, you would need to look at the MN statewide regulations for trout. The southeast counties of Minnesota (including Goodhue and Wabasha counties where Pool 4 lies) do not allow harvest of trout from mid-September through the opener in mid-April, so that is the rule that applies to Pool 4.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, please contact me directly with additional questions.

Sincerely,

Kevin Stauffer

Area Fisheries Supervisor
    Minnesota Department of Natural Resources
    1801 S. Oak Street
    Lake City, MN 55041

651-345-3365 x229

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There goes dinner! (that was a joke Mr. CO)

Thanks for the follow up!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.