Pool 14

• holennet
    Park View, Iowa

Tried the late afternoon til just before dark. Trolling cranks, son and I caught 2 short walleyes. Both were 14 inches. Seems like the walleye are getting bigger and close to the slot limit. Just a month ago we were tossing back 12 and 13 inchers. I am betting next year we will be catching the eater size. We rounded out the evening with a large mouth bass and nice slab crappie, all on cranks.

Good luck fishing,
    Bill

big-muddy
    Rockfalls, Illinois

What you are going to start finding is it’s going to start getting harder to catch keeper fish. They are going to be over or under. I have seen it time and time again. It doesn’t matter if it is in Wisconsin, Minnesota or Canada. Slot limits work for increasing fish populations and size but you get to a point where fishing pressure thins out the fish you can take home. And this may be great for the catch and release crowd but for average Joe fisherman who wants fish to eat it temps him to keep illegal fish. Now don’t get me wrong. I believe this slot limit has ressurected these pools. I don’t however agree with the closing of the dams over winter. One or the other would have been sufficent. But I’m not in charge, so I have to go along with the rules. You are already starting to see guys going out and fishing all day, catching 10 fish and can only keep 1. If it wern’t for the saugers in the fall and spring you’ld be going fishless. The reason I’m saying this is not to start a fight with the powers to be, but to let you know why you ar’nt getting any keepers. I’ve seen it time and time again. Just as all lakes go thruogh cycles of good years and bad, so do rivers. And the DOC can try to control things as best they see it, but nature has it’s way.

jags

Not arguing, but another way to look at it is: if the dams were not closed and a slot limit was in action, you would have a bunch of dead walleye being returned to the water because they were too big/small to keep and caught too deep to survive. Just say’in.

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

I belive that the dam closure and the slot are two very differnt things. Most walleyes that go to the dam in the winter are not in 30 plus ft of water like the saugers are. I think the dam closure is more in response to the drop in sauger numbers. To me the slot is a no brainer if you brood stock is not there there is very little chance of good natural reproduction. You have to protect the females. If you remember back a few years ago we had two springs that the water warmed up fast and some fish spawned early then it got very cold and dropped the temps back into the 30’s. There were alot of fish that did not spawn , we caught egg filled fish at the end of May. I also belive the late cold spells are hard on the newly hatched fry. In my opinion this is what is effecting the keeper size year classes. If you notice the bulk of the keeper fish are “Nuke” branded fish. Thank god we have those released fish in the pool right know are things would really be tough.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Very good point jigfan, those tough spawn years are showing up now in the limited number of legal sized fish. I’ve noticed the same thing about a good number of the legal fish being “nuke branded”.
    I’ve been struggling to find any fish under 23″ the last couple times out, except for a goodly amount of 13-15″ fish. In my opinion this all bodes well for a great fishery for many years to come.
    I’ve got to get some pics up of my biggest fish so far this year, at 28 1/2″ and 18.5″ around, this fish nearly could have passed for a prespawner. It sure seems there is no shortage of food for the fish in most areas now. VERY stout girls out there!

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

The slot fish are very chunky indeed, they must be eating well. I have not be on the water since Wednesday evening. The bite was O.K. we had around 15 with all but 3 where either over or under. I had to work this weekend so no fishing for me. The water is going to raise to 11.5 ft ,that will move the fish around a little. I imagine the water clarity is going to suck for awhile with all the rain they got up north. I hope to be back out tommorow night , maybe I’ll see you around.

riverking
    se iowa

so what does one look for on a walleye to denote whether it was from the nuke plant or a natural fish. what is the nuke branding you talked about earlier? i have always been curious as to the ‘markings’ one is to look for.

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

It is a vertical bar about half way down on the fish. If I remember right , if they are released in pool 14 it is on the left side if it is a pool 13 fish it is on the right.

riverking
    se iowa

thanks-i’ll keep an eye on the fish the next time i am on 14 and try and figure it out.

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

River king if you look below my Dad’s hand you will see a brand on the side of this fish. That is what you are looking for.

riverking
    se iowa

thanks! the pic is very helpful. a picture is worth a thousand words!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.