two electric motors

• Keith
    NE Iowa

This may be a dumb question, but it is something I have always wondered. Why do some of the big walleye boats have two electric trolling motors, one bow mount and one transom mount. Is this so two guys can control the boat? The boats I have seen also have a gas kicker motor as well.

Beaver

I run two electric motors because they both serve a different purpose. If I`m moving and casting, like fishing rip-rap, or following a weed edge etc. I`ll use the bow mount and follow the structure or cover that I`m fishing. If I`m slipping, I find that It`s easier to control the boat speed and position by turning the stern into the current and using the transom mount motor. You can get by with a bow mount if you`re only going to have one. I just like having two.

Beav

walleyefshr
    Kansas

Stern mount electric is also for backtrolling on lakes when you dont have the huge roller waves. Kicker is for trolling cranks or backtrolling in those aforementioned rollers if you have splash guards. If you are drifting you can also control your drift my keeping the big motor down and using it as a rudder and “bumping” on/ off the bow mount to slow your drift

fishhead
    Chaska

I use both the bow mount and transom at the same time,when vertically jigging.I can move back and forth and keep the boat on a straight path in any current and most wind conditions.I am also not at the mercy of the current on where I want to fish.If you want to move to the right you just point both motors to the right,the boat stays straight into the wind.If you are bucking wind and trying to maintain the same speed as the currrent, you can move side to side by angling the motors into the wind.On swifter rivers,half of your boat can get caught in eddies and flip you around.Using to motors can also control this.One motor maintains the drift speed while the other controls the boat position.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.