Mud Puppy’s

• jmiller
    Blaine, MN

Just wondering if anyone else out the boated any mud puppy’s this weekend.
    Talk about a prehistoric fish. WOW That was the first time i have ever seen one.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

We landed our first one on our first trip to pool 4 back in the early 90’s. I told my buddy, “you snagged a radiator hose” He was like, what the *%^* is this. I then saw the legs and arms and we both just got sick.

We had our limit of sauger in the livewell. We thought about throwing them back in..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t know much about them except that the colder the water got last fall the more we caught catfishing with cutbait at the dam.

Slimy little guys.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Quote:

Talk about a prehistoric fish. WOW That was the first time i have ever seen one.

Not a fish but a salamandar that’s “stuck” in between it’s aquatic and terrestrial life stages. It’s an indication that life is so good for the critters in the water that there is no need to go onto land.

Mother nature is a maaaaaad scientist…

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

That picture makes it look much better than when it’s twisted around your line. I have never seen one that clean – that one has to be your pet.

jmiller
    Blaine, MN

yeah that might be Derek’s pet

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Unreal, and they say that dinosaur’s are extinct. I’ve never laid eyes on one of those!! I’m glad i know what one looks like now, cause if I caught that i would have had it up on e-bay 5 minutes later asking 1 billion dollars for the only live dinosaur in existence!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I don’t know much about them except that the colder the water got last fall the more we caught catfishing with cutbait at the dam.

Slimy little guys.

How would you know if you never touched one Sally

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

yeah that might be Derek’s pet

He likes to hold it and pet it and kiss it and hug it and….

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

He was my pet until I deep fried him in Don’s Chuckwagon batter and dipped him in tarter sauce.

MMMM… Mud.. Puppy

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Used to see alot of them 30 years ago. I haven’t seen one in years but I would assume, like the mayfly hatch, the more of them there are, the healthier the rivers eco system is.

deerwoody
    Deerwood,MN.

We have caught several on P4 this year.NASTY CRITTERS!!!

flaco651
    St. Paul's Westside

I caught a mud puppy on the MN river a couple weeks back. I’ve seen littler ones over the years, but this one had to be around a foot long. It swallowed down a piece of cut shad and I couldn’t even see the hook. So I cut the line and let him go. Right after I let him go I realized I should have kept him for Flathead bait.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.