Paddlefish on Pool 2

• mile832
    MN

I was motoring back to the boat ramp on Pool 2 Wednesday and I saw a dead fish floating ahead in the channel. I slowed down for a better look and was very suprised to find a paddlefish better than 15 pounds. I am curious if anyone knows how common (or uncommon) these fish are on Pool 2. I do not recall hearing of anyone catching them on this stretch of the Mississippi. The same goes for sturgeon. If they are in fact rare, should I notify the DNR? Maybe I should have kept the fish. I did check it for a tag and found none. I’m interested in hearing what you all think.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve never seen one, but I don’t imagine that they’re too rare. They feed by swimming with their mouth open and filtering out plankton, so they only way you’d ever see one is if a guy snagged one, and I’d imagine you’d only see it then if it were snagged on heavy gear. Wouldn’t hurt to call the DNR, though, just to check.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Maybe I should have kept the fish. I did check it for a tag and found none.

I don’t think that would be a good idea. It seems to me that the rules specifically say there’s no open season on Paddlefish, so it wouldn’t be legal to have one in your boat.

It would really be great in someone from the DNR signed up as a member to hep answer these types of questions!

Rootski

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thought I have heard of in the past people catching them on the MN in the western part of the state. Isnt the reason there are not many caught is that they are plankton feeders and dont go after large sources of food. Most are caught when snagged in the bill.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I have heard of two caught and witnessed 2 more in the early spring up by the Mn/Miss River confluence in the last 6 years or so.
    I think all were snagged by walleyes anglers in the deeper water. I have yet to boat one myself but have had a customer boat one down in Red Wing.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I don’t think they are rare. They are a sign of a fairly healthy river which is good to see.

Speaking of dead fish floating on P2. Found about a 35 inch musky belly up last time out. Can’t say I have ever caught one down there. I may be overdue…..

-J.

mile832
    MN

Quote:

They are a sign of a fairly healthy river which is good to see.

That thought crossed my mind too. I know they are much more common from Pool 4 downstream where the river is cleaner. Sounds like there are even better days ahead for Pool 2.

I’m suprised to hear about the musky. Thats good news too.

How about sturgeon? Does anyone have any recent sturgeon sightings from Pool 2?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I caught my 1st lake sturgeon on pool 2 about 20 years ago. I have caught a couple since, and heard of a fish or two a year on the average… they are pretty common from the Lilydale area and south.

I have no doubt I hooked them once in a while when I was younger.. being spooled used to be a weekly thing standing on shore… but the fish never jumped, so large cats are more likely.

beno
    St. Paul

I saw that paddlefish as well. I was asked the same questions by the guys in my boat. Thanks for all the information, next time I’m pounded with questions I’ll have some answers.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I’ve seen lots of small paddlefish on pool 4 and have caught 3 or 4 myself. They must be somewhat rare though as there is no open season on them in MN.

2Fishy4U

No Sturgeon from Pool 2 but we do ctch a lot on Pool 5 through 7. Most are rock Sturgeon, but a few because of their size are clearly Lake Surgeon.

ratherbfishn
    St Paul Park MN

Quote:

Quote:

They are a sign of a fairly healthy river which is good to see.

That thought crossed my mind too. I know they are much more common from Pool 4 downstream where the river is cleaner. Sounds like there are even better days ahead for Pool 2.

I’m suprised to hear about the musky. Thats good news too.

That all is very good news!! Weed growth seem to be increasing on the main river to. All great news!!

I myself have never seen any paddles on P2. The Croix has a few and thats not to far of a swim but you would think that they would know there not in kansas anymore

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.