Fishing Line Respooling

• bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

This always happens to me!! I buy some nice line for my setup and I spool up the line myself, and when I am done the line wraps around the tip of my pole. I get so many darn twists in the line its unbelievable! Does anybody have a solution or tips to reline your own spools?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I assume you are trying to spool a spinning reel?

If so, make sure the line off the filler spool is coming off in the same rotation as the spinning reel. Most spinning reels turn counter clockwise. When you spool your reel, the line must fall off counter clockwise or everytime your bail makes a rotation, it will put a twist in the line.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I think I can give you an idea that I found works. A while ago Blue Fleck and I were fishing ang got to talking about putting new line on. He told me that the spinning reels turn in a counterclockwise direction. So, when spooling make sure the line is coming off in the same direction. I tried this yesterday afternoon on 2 reels and I’ll be danged if I didn’t get a single twist
    Thanks for the tip Blue

JohnEngler

I spool the line on and then go to the local park or a large open area where I can run the entire amount out. Drape the line over a tree branch so it can unwind as you retrieve it. It may take more than once, but it works well for me.

Good luck.

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

I’ve had problems with this too. I discovered a way to straighten things out. The easiest is to take it out the water, let all the line out without anything on it and reel it back on and it’s straightened out. If you want to do it before you hit the water: 1. Tie the line to the back of a chair.2. Have another chair some distance away, in my living room it’s about 20′. 3. Open the bail and string all your line from one chair to the other.4. Cut your line from the backing where you started spooling.5. Go back to the chair where you tied up, untie (or cut) and tie to your backing and start winding the line back on to your spool, walking back and forth from chair to chair.What you’ve done is untwisted your line back on to your spool. Worked for me.Good fishn!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Once in awhile my line gets twisted even after i have spooled it right, pulling a lure that rolls or a jig that falls and flips over, etc. I go out in a current area and anchor out. I take anything on the line off and i pull enough line off the spool and toss it into the current. The current takes the line off the spool and i retrieve. I pinch the line infront of my reel with a small rag or small 1″ sponge from whats left from the worn one from the kitchen sink, by the first eye and start reeling. Ive found that pinching the line untwists the line as i can see it rolling on the water befor it goes on the spool. Plus if theres any memory left in the line the pinching seems to take some of that out too plus the rag or sponge cleans any dirt or whatever off the line.

mile832
    MN

I always spool my spinning reels by laying a flat spool on the floor with the sticker or logo side up, the line usually comes off the spool the same direction it goes on the reel. Make sure you keep a bit of tension on the reel side of the line so it spools tightly. If there is line twist after a dozen or so cranks of the reel, flip the spool over and then fill the reel. Be careful not to over spool the reel. If it still wraps around you rod tip, let the line out all the way without a lure on it into the water ( works best in a river, but you can do it on a lake too) then reel it in with slight finger tension to keep it tight and you should be set to go. One other thing, using a line heavier than the recommended line weight for the reel will give you some trouble even if you spool it correctly. Hope this helps.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I just poke a pencil through the spool hole and start reeling.

I used to do it the way described above, but still got twists.

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

I get line twist no matter what side of the spool I reel from,now when I’m in the boat I justlet all my line off the reeland let it drift downstream,put the motor in gear and reel the line back up,just the way James or Dustin said to do it in the video and it works great.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Ive gone to spearing – no more line twist!

pittmd

Take your line and spools to Gander Mountain. We spool it for free. No twists. There is a setup that you can buy to spool it like big shops do. I think its made by berkly and costs about $20. I never used one before but it looks like it will work.

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I was given that Berkley spooler as a present and didn’t much of it at first, but after using it a few times, I now like it. It has spring loaded tensioners to control unwind tension (3M term). It has 2 unwind positions for coming off the top or over the side of the plastic spool. It also comes with a bettery powered line stripper which is kinda fun. I’m not a salesman for Berkley, but if there is more than 1 reel to fill, I take the time to set up that outfit.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

I lay the spools flat on the floor as well I do a few cranks then check if the line twists flip the spool couple more cranks and make sure it isn’t twisting then I will fill the spool stopping occasionally to make sure it isn’t twisted….works great never had problems.
    I’ve never had to unspool the line and crank it back on.

Pax
    Woodville, WI

Drop the filler spool in a 5 gallon bucket, 1/2 full of water and start reeling. It’ll twist and turn every which way and WALA! – No more line twists. OR – Put the line on any way you want then take the rig to the lake or river and swoly let out all the line (with NOTHING) on it and reel it back up – that is the absolute best way.

pittmd

Quote:

Drop the filler spool in a 5 gallon bucket, 1/2 full of water and start reeling. It’ll twist and turn every which way and WALA! – No more line twists. OR – Put the line on any way you want then take the rig to the lake or river and swoly let out all the line (with NOTHING) on it and reel it back up – that is the absolute best way.

Never tried the above but it sounds like a royal pain in the .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.