Trouble with rogue bass

• Brian Lyons

My wife and I used to have a great summer crappie pattern on pool 4. The last two summers we have been plagued with fish such as the one Mrs. Lyons is holding in this pic from last Aug.

She says they are largemouth bass, but I suspect a deviant strain of Green Sunfish…

What do you think, and why so many the last couple years?

herb
    6ft under

Pretty sure it’s a giant breed of Asian Northerns.
    The reason for so many in your crappie holes, is because you probably caught all the crappies and these fish moved in to take their place.
    Solution-turn all your crappies loose so they can keep those exotics driven out.
    For a more In-Depth analysis, I may have to go with you to properly study the situation.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Almost looks like one of those big-head carp. Pretty slimy looking whatever it is. If it is a largemouth and the numbers seem to be increasing, then our bass fishing buddies have got to do a better job at getting rid of this infestation. Maybe they had better start keeping a few now and then instead of releasing all of them. They are becoming a nuisanse.

Eyehunter

mnfish
    Lake Elmo MN

That there is a GOLD fish! Seldom seen by some fishing those high falutin’ bass tourneys in them clown boats. They can be worth their weight in gold!!!

(BTW Where’d you get it?? )

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Call the DNR…show them your picture and they’ll poison the lake.

fish4blue
    Holmen, WI

does anybody know if the dnr will set up electric fence barricades to help prevent the spread of this exotic species? is there a number like the ghost busters we could call? it looks like it is trying to attack her by starting at her hand.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I suggest getting the DNR to start a catch and kill regulation on this invasive species. It is difficult to find anyone who wants to eat the slimy critters so they throw them back in. They are getting to be a real problem.

Eyehunter

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’ve seen that species before in many bodies of water The problem with them is that they are WAY too easy to catch. On the plus side, there are many anglers that have difficulty catching anything else most of the time therefor they target them exclusively. Perhaps one of the anglers previously mentioned will see this post and you could tell them where they need to go to harvest them. Hope something comes from this thread that will get you back into your historic crappie bite.

Chris

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Easy fish to catch…if you’re me, catching a 5lber…not quite so easy.

Walleyes…hmmm, nothing more to life than sitting down and jigging a pole up and down in the middle of schooled up fish with live bait.

Let’s dance.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Sorry B.C. I was just kidding (really I am). I used to and still do love to fish that invasive species I’ve caught my share of 5+ lb’ers and they fight like goldfi… err I mean bass . It was the species that turned my hobby into a passion. While going to school in Eau Claire I began fishing muskies on the Chippewa and that is my target of choice these days although I end up catching WAY more northerns (a fish that really is easy to catch but a blast to fight! ) Recently HOF sold me a copy of the In-Depth video and I don’t know if it was the anticipation of the river opening up or the lack of muskies I’ve been catching but I just got home from Gander Mtn. with a new toy to target eyes, a fish that is quite new to me. Thanks to Mike, nice as heck, (I think that’s what someone called him, sorry if I’m wrong)at GndrMtn for helping me find a great reel for my new SC Avid 69MLXF (and I was going just to look ) Ended up with a Quantum Kinetic 20pti (seems VERY smooth) and would like some feedback if anyone has any. ANYWAY…I hope catching walleye isn’t as easy as you say, if so I’m bringing my stuff back and using a tweetybird pole from Wally World to go catch some bass Good fishing

Chris

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Please B, tell us that after you took the picture you clubbed it mercilessly and threw it on the bank.

jeremy-crawford
    Cedar Rapids Area

Don’t worry John…. We put speed holes in anything with Teeth…
    jc

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Uh oh, busted. No more fishing for greenies with JC.

Maybe I can just panfish out the back of his boat and drink beer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.